Cake Flavor Combinations - How to Combine Filling and Frosting
Pairing the right cake flavors with the right filling and frosting can be critical to the success of recipes. These Cake Flavor Combinations are a great guide to have on hand when you are wondering what to bake or what is the best flavor combination for a particular cake.
Have you ever wondered about the endless possibilities of cake flavor combinations or cake flavor ideas?
- Which flavors go well together?
- Also, what cake flavor goes with buttercream frosting?
- What flavor and filling go well with lemon cake?
- Or even what flavor goes with a red velvet cake? And what filling should I use for red velvet cake?
- What goes with a chocolate cake? Which filling should I use in my chocolate cake?
- Which are the best cake combinations? What is the best cake filling combinations?
- Vanilla cake flavor combinations
- Best flavor and filling combinations
- And what are the best cake flavor combination for decorated cakes?
When I started my little cake business one of my challenges was to figure out what cake flavor combinations would go well together. I'd have all these questions in my head and spent hours trying small batches of recipes and seeing whether I really liked them or not. I've given away a lot of free cakes just to get feedback and inputs from family and friends.
Can you use the same combinations for business?
In truth what may be a family favorite does not necessarily work in the business given the time needed to decorate, travel, etc. For example:
- Red velvet cake - I love my red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, in fact, I prefer it with my no-butter cream cheese frosting but when I make it for an order with fondant I usually use Swiss Meringue Buttercream - it's easier to work with and can stay out longer than cream cheese.
- Cake flavor that goes with lemon cake - I love lemon cake with lemon curd and lemon buttercream. But here the weather is so hot that in summer I don't offer that flavor with fondant cakes. It has to be a buttercream cake with lemon curd and it has to be eaten within 3 days.
I love cakes and I love baking new flavors as much as eating them. Over the years I've lost count of the many experiments I've done with flavor ideas. I must admit that some have not made it to my books as keepers. And yet, I still enjoyed the process.
When I started cake decorating professionally, I started putting together a list of popular flavors and combinations and my list keeps getting longer and longer.
1. Cake Flavors and Filling Combinations
So what are some creative cake flavors to try? Here's a small part of that list, I think you will love very much. (Save/Pin)
- Almond cake with almond cream and white chocolate buttercream
Use my Vanilla Cream Cake recipe and add some almond flavoring - layer it with my White Chocolate buttercream
- Champagne cake with strawberry mousse and champagne buttercream
For the champagne, cake using my champagne cupcake recipe (just use the recipe cards at the bottom of each post to change serving size and it will calculate the recipe for you)
- Ginger-spiced cake with vanilla & honey buttercream -
For the ginger-spiced cake use my gingerbread spice cake and add grated ginger for extra flavor. For honey buttercream- substitute some of the sugar in my vanilla buttercream with honey and omit the liquid.
- Earl Grey cake with lavender flavored buttercream - add lavender flavoring to my vanilla buttercream to make a lavender flavored buttercream.
- Vanilla Kahlua cake with Kahlua chocolate buttercream
- Vanilla cafe latte cake with coffee buttercream
- Chai latte cake with vanilla buttercream frosting
- Brown butter cake with whipped cream buttercream
2. Flavors that go with Coconut Cakes
(coconut is one of my favorite flavors)
- Coconut cake with rum-flavored chocolate buttercream - add rum instead of cream in my Chocolate buttercream frosting
- or Coconut cake with lemon/lime curd and maple buttercream
- Coconut Cake with pineapple cream and Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- and Coconut cake with dark chocolate fudge filling and Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Coconut cake with dulce de leche filling and chocolate fudge buttercream
- even Coconut cake with coconut cream filling and brown butter buttercream
- Toasted Coconut Cream Cake with coconut cream filling and Whipped Cream Buttercream
- Coconut cake with lemon curd and coconut cream buttercream
3. Flavors that go with Banana Cakes
- Easy Banana Caramel Cake
- Banana cake with salted caramel frosting
- Banana cake with caramel cream cheese frosting (add caramel to my no-butter cream cheese frosting)
- or Chocolate Banana Cake with Nutella Buttercream
- Banana cake with coconut cream and Almond Buttercream
- Tropical Banana cake with pineapple cream and whipped cream buttercream.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Banana Maple Cake with pecan praline filling and caramel buttercream.
- and Banana Blueberry Cake with blueberry filling and Swiss Meringue Buttercream
4. Flavors that go well with Lemon Cake or Strawberry Cake
- Lemon cake with almond buttercream
- or Lemon cake with raspberry frosting and lemon buttercream
- Strawberry cake with banana mousse and strawberry buttercream
- Lemon cake with lemon curd and lemon buttercream
- Vanilla cake, raspberry filling, and white chocolate buttercream
- Orange cake with vanilla chai buttercream (infuse chai in the cream before adding to the buttercream)
- Try my Strawberry Cake with Velvet American Buttercream
- Strawberry Red Velvet Cake with Strawberry Filling and Whipped Cream
5. Flavors that go with Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate pecan cake with mascarpone cream cheese frosting(use mascarpone for the cream cheese in the recipe)
- Dark chocolate cake with peanut butter frostings
- or Dark chocolate cake with mint buttercream
- Chocolate cake with chocolate ganache
- Cherry Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream*
- Chocolate Fudge cake with raspberry or white chocolate mousse and vanilla buttercream
- and Chocolate fudge cake with crushed Oreo buttercream
- Dark chocolate cake with orange, strawberry or raspberry buttercream
- German chocolate cake with pecan praline cream and dark chocolate ganache
- Death by chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream and chocolate ganache
- Devil's Food Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- Chocolate Birthday cake with Chocolate Frosting
More chocolate layer cakes
- One bowl chocolate cake
- Devil's food chocolate cake
- Chocolate Fudge Cake
- Death by chocolate cake
- Classic, chocolate cake
- Chocolate birthday cake
- chocolate ganache cake
- chocolate mud cake,
- Simple Moist Chocolate Cake
- chocolate chiffon cake
- Chocolate cake with whipped cream
- Gluten-free Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Coffee Cake
6. Matcha Flavor Combinations
- Matcha cake with coconut cream and matcha buttercream
- or Match pound cake with blueberry filling and Italian Meringue Buttercream
- Match chiffon cake with cream cheese frosting
- and matcha genoise with strawberry and whipped cream
- White chocolate matcha cake with matcha ganache.
7. Cake Flavor Ideas for Fall
- Pumpkin Coconut Cake with coconut cream caramel
- or Pumpkin spice cake with chai latte buttercream
- Pumpkin maple cake with pecan filling and maple buttercream
- Fall spice cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple spice cake with caramel filling and Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Pumpkin cake with pumpkin pie filling and no butter cream cheese frosting
- Pumpkin ginger cake with pumpkin spice buttercream
- Apple pear cake with apple pie filling and whipped cream buttercream
- Pumpkin white chocolate cake with pumpkin spice buttercream
(add 4 oz melted white chocolate to this pumpkin cream cake and add pumpkin spice to my vanilla buttercream frosting)
- Apple Pie Cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Cardamom cake with Mocha Buttercream
- Masala chai cake with chai spice buttercream (add chai spice to your buttercream)
8. Cake flavor ideas for Summer
- Mango Chiffon cake with mango jam and stabilized whipped cream
- Orange Chiffon cake with orange marmalade and Swiss meringue buttercream
- Orange cake with orange curd and orange Swiss meringue buttercream
- Strawberry chiffon cake with strawberry jam and stabilized whipped cream
- Pineapple white chocolate cake with pineapple whipped cream
How many different types of buttercream frosting are there?
The number of frosting recipes can be overwhelming and sometimes confusing. In general, we can categories these as
- Butter-based buttercream - simple all-purpose buttercreams like my velvet American buttercream, Vanilla buttercream (eggless)
- Decorators buttercream - often with all or some vegetable shortening to prevent the frosting from melting easily like my Bakery style frostings - Vanilla and Chocolate frosting
- Cream Cheese based - made with cream cheese often with or without butter like my classic cream cheese is made with butter which adds more stability and my no-butter cream cheese frosting when you want a more luxurious dessert type frosting.
- Meringue buttercream - made with the addition of whipped egg whites. Less sweet than the classic butter-based buttercream like my Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue
- Egg-based buttercream - like the French Buttercream and German buttercream made with egg yolks then whipped to make a light and fluffy frosting with the addition of butter.
- Whipped Cream Frosting - the lightest of them all is, of course, simple whipped cream. I shared 5 different methods to make whipped cream at home. As well as a whipped cream buttercream frosting.
How to Create Simple Cake Fillings from Basic Recipes
Well, not all are straightforward but often creating these can be as simple as tweaking your basic vanilla buttercream recipe just a little. For example:
- Almond buttercream is just your vanilla buttercream with almond flavoring
- Mint buttercream - just a mint flavoring
- Lemon buttercream - replace the liquid in the recipe with some lemon juice when making vanilla buttercream
- Nutella buttercream is just Nutella added to your vanilla buttercream too
Check out my post where I share how to make different buttercream flavors with one basic buttercream recipe. As well as, my post; One Vanilla cake with many different flavors and One Chocolate cake with many different flavors.
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST FOR LATER. TRIED MY RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH ME, PLEASE.
Share a picture of your work with me by uploading an image here below my image on this board. You can also find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.