More than 30 of the Best Frosting Recipes in one place.
Have you ever had to make a cake and then wonder which buttercream frosting would work best? Wondering if you should make or buy your own frosting? Well, I have it all here for you. 30 plus homemade buttercream frosting recipes in one place. These are all my recipes and you will be surprised at how simple and easy they are to make, some take as little as five minutes to make.
Did you know that I have shared more than 30 homemade buttercream recipes with you already? And I not done yet.
The more you have the more confusing it can get. right? While I do have them all listed out in a category I often have people ask me which frosting they should try. Or where can they find that buttercream recipe? So I thought why not make a round-up post so you can see them all here.
How many different types of buttercream frosting are there?
The number of frosting recipes can be overwhelming and sometimes confusing. In general, we can categories these as
- Butter-based buttercream – simple all-purpose buttercreams like my velvet American buttercream, Vanilla buttercream (eggless)
- Decorators buttercream – often with all or some vegetable shortening to prevent the frosting from melting easily like my Bakery style frostings – Vanilla and Chocolate frosting
- Cream Cheese based – made with cream cheese often with or without butter like my classic cream cheese is made with butter which adds more stability and my no-butter cream cheese frosting when you want a more luxurious dessert type frosting.
- Meringue buttercream – made with the addition of whipped egg whites. Less sweet than the classic butter-based buttercream like my Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue
- Egg-based buttercream – like the French Buttercream and German buttercream made with egg yolks then whipped to make a light and fluffy frosting with the addition of butter.
- Whipped Cream Frosting – the lightest of them all is, of course, simple whipped cream. I shared 5 different methods to make whipped cream at home. As well as a whipped cream buttercream frosting.
30 plus buttercream frosting recipe (Save/Pin)
Whipped cream buttercream frosting
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Maple Buttercream Frosting
Whipped Espresso Chocolate Ganache
One Buttercream Recipe – many different flavor variations.
Why have just one buttercream flavor when you can try so many more. These simple, easy and effortless variations to create different buttercream flavors from one recipe will open new and wonderful possibilities for your cake projects. From strawberry to caramel, marzipan or Kahlua, you can use a basic American buttercream, meringue-based buttercream. Lemon Buttercream Mocha Buttercream Salted Caramel Buttercream Raspberry Buttercream Frosting Peanut Butter Frosting Pineapple Buttercream Frosting Maraschino Cherry Buttercream Frosting Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting Coconut Buttercream Frosting Marzipan Buttercream frosting Boston Cream Pie Frosting
Frosting recipe for cookie decorating
Frequently asked questions
Icings are those simple glazes you make to pour over a pound cake, pastries. Sometimes made with just powdered sugar and milk and sometimes make with melted chocolate too. The icing is usually pouring consistency while frosting is thick, light and fluffy that can be spread over a cake or piped over cupcakes.
Absolutely, If the frosting is thick, add a few tablespoons of milk, cream or water. Then microwave for 10 seconds. The powdered sugar and butter will melt into a pouring consistency.
Often people are surprised that homemade frosting can take as little as 5 minutes to make. Yes, that’s all it needs. Which actually is less than the time you probably spend driving to the store to buy ready frosting.
The basic formula for a good homemade frosting is just two main ingredients. Butter and powdered sugar. We often add liquid such as water, milk or cream to bring it to consistency. The rest of the additions are optional such as vanilla for flavor.
As a rule of thump one part butter with two parts, powdered sugar will give you a good frosting already. Add a tablespoon of liquid to bring to consistency. That’s it!
What is the best kind of frosting for cupcakes?
Cupcakes can be served with any frosting from simple vanilla to cream cheese or meringue. What is important to think through is – how am I going to store these cupcakes and how long are they going to be out?
For example, if your cupcakes are going to be sitting out for a long time then cream cheese frosting or perishable frosting is not the way to go. If your cupcakes are going to be out in hot humid conditions then you probably want to avoid meringue or butter-based frostings too.
How do I decide which buttercream frosting to use?
There will always be many options to choose from but the only one that’s usually just right for you. Here are a few questions to consider. Often you will have to take all four into consideration when making this decision.
- What cake flavor do I want?
- Where is the cake going to be displayed – inside vs outside? The inside allows you to use perishable fillings while outside depends on the weather.
- What is the weather at the time the cake is going to be displayed? Is it cold winter or hot humid summer. Hot summers need more caution with perishable frostings.
- How far does the cake have to travel? long travels in cold weather are not an issue if you pack things well. Hot summers can be a nightmare, so carry ice packs.
Save this article on Pinterest for later. Tried my recipe? Share it with me, please.
Share a picture of your work with me by uploading an image here below my Image on board
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
You may also like
- Butterscotch Cake with Swiss Meringue and Butterscotch Sauce
- Caramel Apple Cake with Caramel Buttercream and Caramel Sauce
- Fresh Strawberry Cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- White Wedding Cake with Italian Meringue Buttercream
- Vanilla Cafe Latte Cake with Coffee Buttercream
- Homemade Fondant from scratch Recipes
- Marshmallow Fondant Recipe
- Bean Paste for making sugar flowers
- Edible sugar lace recipe
- Homemade Piping Gel
- Edible Sugar Fabric – Edifab
CAKE DECORATING BUSINESS
If cake decorating is your profession then here are a few posts that you might find very useful.
- How to start a cake business from home.
- And, How to start a cake website (DIY Cake Blog)
- How much should you charge for your cakes?
- Also, How to find your cake decorating style
- Where to find inspiration for cake decorating?
- How many cake orders can I take?
- My Camera Bag – The photography equipment I use.
- and My Cake Room – Tools I use for cake decorating