The BEST Eggless Vanilla Cake Recipe – Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake
This eggless vanilla cake recipe is moist with a soft crumb. It tastes absolutely delicious on its own with tea or dressed with frosting for an elegant celebration cake. It can also be used to carve into a novelty cake with ease. A simple, easy and effortless recipe that’s versatile and can be tweaked to make many different flavors and combinations.
It’s been a while since I perfected this eggless vanilla cake recipe for my customers. I love how moist and tender the crumb is, but mostly how easy it is to make. The best part I customize this same recipe to make many different flavors of a Moist Orange cake or lemon cake etc. I will share those with you in the future too.
The best part about this cake is that it has a firm texture but a soft crumb. Look at that texture inside and yet it’s soft and delish!
Let’s talk ingredients and substitutes for our eggless cake recipe (Save/Pin)
- All-Purpose Flour – You can use all-purpose flour, plain flour, maida for this cake. Do not use cake flour. I find that cake flour tends to make the texture very crumbly.
- Oil – I find that oil works best to keep the cake moist and the texture just right. I have tried it with butter – it works but oil gives me the best results in texture.
- Sugar – It is best to use fine grain white sugar or caster sugar as it melts easily in the mixture. If you don’t have fine grain sugar just pulse the sugar in the food processor to ensure it’s fine and not too coarse.
- Yogurt -this is actually a substitute for eggs in the recipe so do not substitute with anything else. I used a plain store bought natural yogurt. You can use homemade yogurt as well.
- Water – You can substitute water with milk, orange juice or buttermilk BUT do ensure that it’s warm, not cold.
Eggless cake for Cake Decorating.
This cake is moist and soft when baked and if I use it fresh with a filling or frosting I do not need any simple syrup. But if I have to use it to decorate a celebration cake I do add a little extra simple syrup to keep it moist. This cake can be used to carve, it can also be used for a tiered cake as well as a base for fondant cake too.
A word on filling…
The options for filling in this cake are endless!! And I have given you a huge variety of filling and frosting recipes on this blog.
Here I am using Vanilla Pastry Cream but you can use other fillings like eggless vanilla pastry cream, Strawberry Filling, Blueberry Filling, Mango mousse, Chocolate mousse as long as you use a Frosting Dam!! Remember the basics of cake decorating? yes, we need that frosting dam so you won’t have the filling spill out from the sides of the cake.
Recipe – The BEST Eggless Vanilla Cake Recipe /Eggless Cake Recipes (Save/Pin)
- All purpose flour – 220 grams
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 1/2 tsp
- Canola oil – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup (200 grams)
- Yogurt – 1 cup (250 ml )
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
Extra – warm water or milk – 250 ml (1 cup)
- Preheat oven at 170 C / 340 F
- Grease and line an 8″ round baking pan
- Combine Dry ingredients in one bowl
- Combine wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients until smooth with no lumps.
- Lastly, add warm water/milk and stir well to combine
- Pour into the baking pans and immediately place in a preheated oven
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- After 10 minutes invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely before decorating.
Don’t forget to save this recipe on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
Often I make my eggless chocolate Fudge cake. I alternate layers of vanilla and chocolate cake with different fillings to create one exotic delicious cake. Sometimes I use Eggless Vanilla Pastry cream or sometimes it’s my eggless chocolate mousse filling.
The BEST Eggless Vanilla Cake Recipe
This eggless vanilla cake is moist with a firm texture but soft crumb. It tastes absolutely delicious on its own and can be used to carve into a novelty cake with ease. A versatile cake that can be tweaked to make many different flavors and combinations.
Ingredients - Choose (Metric or US Customary) below
- 220 grams All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 cup Canola oil
- 200 grams Sugar
- 250 ml Yogurt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 250 ml Extra - warm water or milk
Preheat oven to 170 C / 340 F
Grease and line an 8" round baking pan
Combine Dry ingredients in one bowl
Combine wet ingredients in another bowl.
Mix wet and dry ingredients until smooth with no lumps.
Lastly, add warm water/milk and stir well to combine
Pour into the baking pans and immediately place in a preheated oven
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
After 10 minutes invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely before decorating.
Do you bake only Eggless Recipes?
You may like to check out some of my eggless recipe collections on this blog – eggless recipes from simple eggless chocolate chip cookies to the best eggless chocolate mousse or eggless vanilla pastry cream.
Alternatively, you may also like to see my Recipe Index to see a full list of all recipes on this blog