How to make Caramel Buttercream Frosting – video Recipe
A good caramel buttercream is smooth, rich and glossy filed with that sweet caramel flavor. Made with homemade caramel sauce that takes just five minutes to make this one is loaded with caramel flavor you cannot miss. Drizzle some caramel sauce on top for added luxury or sprinkle a few grains of salt for that salted caramel buttercream you all crave.
What is your absolute favorite buttercream flavor to make? I said make not eat! ha, got you?
I honestly love many different flavors of buttercream but there are a few I love making more than the others. Two of the favorites that most of my customers love are my butterscotch buttercream and caramel buttercream. And you know why?
It’s made with real caramel sauce or butterscotch sauce in there. Yes, I do make the caramel sauce from scratch which takes only five minutes to make but I make a thicker consistency that helps give me that absolutely rich, thicker and glossy buttercream. When whipped it’s light and fluffy which gives that feeling of meringue buttercream on the tongue.
Even if you are lazy to make the caramel sauce at home I highly recommend you try this buttercream recipe just once and I promise you will never look for another caramel buttercream recipe again.
This is my Caramel Apple Cake with this caramel buttercream frosting and of course a caramel sauce drip. As I showed you in the video when making caramel sauce I made two consistencies one thinner so I can use it as drips and pours and one thicker so it makes a firmer consistency for my caramel buttercream frosting. I will be sharing this caramel apple cake recipe tomorrow. So stay tuned.
Let’s talk ingredients – Just 2 ingredients (Save/Pin)
- Butter – I always use all butter in my frosting but you can use high-fat ration vegetable shortening. The key here is to use high fat so it will whip some air in with the sauce and become light and fluffy.
- Caramel sauce – This is, of course, the key ingredient. I always use homemade caramel sauce but I think any store-bought might work just as well as long as it’s not too runny. By the way, it takes five minutes to make a homemade caramel sauce. I highly recommend not using very fresh made sauce. Use one that’s cooled completely but not chilled. Chilled caramel may not blend well in the butter. If the caramel you have is stiff, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes. If necessary place in the microwave for 10 seconds only
- Powdered sugar – It’s best to use powdered sugar made from cane sugar, not beet sugar. Beet sugar tends to give a very grainy buttercream.
Recipe 1 – Quick caramel buttercream made using premade buttercream
If you already have buttercream made before, why make more. Use it!! And you can make caramelSwiss Meringue Buttercream or caramel Italian Meringue Buttercream or caramel American Buttercream Frosting with this method, provided the buttercream consistency is not too soft.
- Make and cool (homemade) caramel sauce. (yes, you can use commercial one as well)
- Add 1 cup cooled caramel sauce to 4 cups of buttercream frosting
the consistency of this buttercream will depend on the consistency of the original buttercream. If you need to frost a cake or pipe swirls on cupcakes. This works just great. However, if you need a firm or stiff buttercream then you probably better off using the recipe from scratch below.
Recipe II – Caramel Buttercream Frosting Recipe – from scratch (Save/Pin)
- Caramel sauce- 1 cup (recipe here)
- Unsalted butter – 450 grams ( 1 lb)
- Powdered Sugar – 200 grams (2 cups)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Place the butter and salt in the mixer bowl.
- Using the paddle attachment – mix the butter until light and creamy.
- Next, add half a cup of caramel sauce – combine well
- Add the remaining sauce – combine again
- Lastly, the powdered sugar – combine well.
- Once all the ingredients have been added – whip for three minutes until the butterscotch is light and fluffy.
Tips and troubleshooting
- The consistency of the caramel sauce you use will determine the consistency of the buttercream you get.
- Ideally, one way to get a firmer buttercream would be to add more powdered sugar but this results in a very sweet buttercream
- If the consistency of the buttercream is too soft – use it as a filling first then add some regular buttercream to frost the outside of the cake.
- In my video below, I do share how to make the sauce in two different consistencies so you can use one for drips and pours and the other works best for buttercream.
Don’t forget to save this recipe on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
Caramel Buttercream Frosting Recipe made with caramel sauce
A good caramel buttercream is smooth, rich and glossy filed with that sweet caramel flavor. Made with homemade caramel sauce that takes just five minutes to make this one is loaded with caramel flavor you cannot miss. Sprinkle a few grains of salt for that salted caramel buttercream you all crave.
Ingredients - Choose (Metric or US Customary) below
- 250 ml Caramel sauce recipe here
- 450 grams Unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 200 grams Powdered sugar
Place the butter and salt in the mixer bowl.
Using the paddle attachment - mix the butter until light and creamy.
Next, add half cup of caramel sauce - combine well
Add the remaining sauce - combine again
Add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Once all the ingredients have been combined - whip for three minutes until the butterscotch is light and fluffy.
Recipe Video - full version (detailed)
Love making desserts?
Well, there are lots to choose right here on my blog. Below you can see some filling recipes that are on this blog or to be added soon. So whether you looking for a simple quick fruit filling of strawberries and cherries or an indulgent fruit crud such as lemon or orange. Try a creamy caramel filling or an eggless pastry cream filling for those light and low carb days.
You can find more filling and frosting recipes here on this page – Filling & Frosting recipes