This virgin pina colada is a beautiful twist and variation on the classic cocktail. With the addition of chia seeds minus the alcohol. A simple, easy, and refreshing combination of tropical flavors from the crushed pineapple, coconut cream, and honey.
Pina colada is a classic Puerto Rican cocktail made with Malibu rum, crushed pineapple, coconut cream, and ice. It's also garnished with a slice of fresh pineapple and cherry.
I love rum, pineapple is my favorite fruit, and coconut cream is always a treat. So, it's the perfect drink for me. But, during the week, I prefer to leave out the rum and keep it lean. So, we can enjoy it as a smoothie. And of course, it is also perfect as a breakfast drink.
- Pineapple - If you get fresh please use fresh. But, frozen or canned works just as well.
- Coconut cream - A canned or a carton of coconut cream works great.
- Chia seeds - Just 1 teaspoon is plenty. I like the little added thickness it adds to the drink. Of course, feel free to omit the chia all together. Also, I like to add a few bloomed chia seeds for garnish. I have listed how to make that yourself below too.
Step by step instructions
- Save a few crushed pineapple pieces aside for garnish.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Then, taste and adjust sweetness and consistency. And if necessary, add more honey or coconut milk/water.
- Lastly, pour into individual smoothie glasses. Garnish with some more crushed pineapple. I also added a cherry and a few bloomed chia seeds.
Pro tip - If you want to make this an original pina colada cocktail, add ¼ cup or 1 oz Malibu rum to each individual serving.
Tried my recipe? Don't forget to rate ★★★ ★★ it and leave a comment to let me know how it was.
You can also find a collection of my tutorials and recipes on Pinterest.
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more.
Virgin Pina ColadaPrint Pin Rate Share by Email Share on FB Save Grow Saved!
- 1 cup (240 g) Pineapple crushed or chopped
- ½ cup (120 ml) Coconut cream
- 1 cup Ice crushed
- 1 teaspoon Chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Honey or more
- Save a few crushed pineapple pieces aside for garnish
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth
- Taste and adjust sweetness and consistency. Add more honey or coconut milk/water if necessary
- Pour into individual smoothie glasses. Garnish with some more crushed pineapple
- Note - If you want to make this an original pina colada cocktail, add ¼ cup or 1 oz Malibu rum to each individual serving.
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you