If only you could make as good a pina colada without the alcohol. The recipe would be pretty simple: pineapple juice, lemon juice., coconut milk, and a little bit of sugar. But how much of each of these ingredients do you need to make a great virgin pina colada?
Table of Content
Pina colada is a classic tropical drink from Puerto Rico cocktail made with Malibu rum, crushed pineapple, coconut cream, and ice. It is the perfect drink on a hot summer day. It's also garnished with a slice of fresh pineapple and cherry.
A virgin pina colada is the non-alcoholic version of the tropical-flavored cocktail or mocktail! It is just like having a pineapple smoothie or pineapple coconut smooth. And you can give it to kids too!
Why make this drink?
- A virgin pina colada or pina colada mocktail is a drink that does not contain alcohol but does contain an energy boost.
- It needs only three ingredients and all of those are simple pantry staples.
- It really takes only 5 minutes to make the drink and all you need is a blender!
- Blend with a dollop of vanilla ice cream to make the most delicious pina colada milkshake.
- Since this is a non-alcoholic drink and does not need any sparkling soda you can make it ahead of time for any event.
- Leftovers can be left in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Pineapple - I'm using fresh pineapple chunks today because I like the added fiber but you can also use strained pineapple juice. Frozen pineapple wedges work just as well and that is easily available in any grocery store. Canned pineapple has added sugar so you may need to omit the sugar in the recipe. Save a piece for garnish by slicing it into a wedge.
- Coconut - Coconut milk from a can or carton works great. Cream of coconut is more concentrated so I do not recommend but if that is all you have, use just half the measure (30 ml)
- Lemon juice - helps break down the sweetness of the drink. Lime juice works too.
- Sugar- pineapple juice is sweet so yes, you can omit sugar but this is a lovely sweet drink that tastes great. But feel free to omit.
- Optional ingredients
- rum extract - if you want to have the flavor of the original cocktail you can use a rum extract instead of rum.
- Vanilla extract - personally, I like the flavor of coconut and rum but you can also use vanilla.
- Berries - for a twist you can throw in a handful
Virgin pina colada recipe
- In a blender add chopped pineapples, lemon juice, sugar, and coconut milk. Top with crushed ice cubes. Blend until smooth.
Note - I like my drinks cold but without ice so I omitted the ice in the video
- Pour into an individual tall glass or smoothie glass. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry
Pro tip - Taste and adjust sweetness and consistency. You can add more pineapples or coconut milk to your taste.
- You can garnish it with a drink umbrella to dress it up. I used a pineapple wedge.
- Classic pina colada - If you want to make this an original pina colada cocktail (with alcohol), add 60 ml (¼ cup or 11/2 oz) of Malibu rum to each individual serving.
- Mango colada - use mango juice instead of pineapple juice
- Orange colada - use orange juice instead of pineapple juice.
- Berry colada -for a twist you can throw in a handful of berries along with the pineapple
- Banana pineapple smoothie - bananas, pineapple, and coconut are all tropical and work well together in a smoothie.
- Cherry chia colada - soak 1 teaspoon chia seeds for 10 mins then blend with 2 cherries, pineapple cubes, and coconut milk. (image below) Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ it.
Save it for later.
You can also find a collection of my recipes and tutorials here on Pinterest. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
And, don't forget to subscribe to my blog to receive new recipes by email.
Virgin Pina ColadaPrint Pin Rate Share by Email Share on FB Save Grow Saved!
- 1 cup (160 g) Pineapple (chopped) (1 cup pineapple juice)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice (or lime juice)
- ½ cup (120 ml) Coconut milk (or ¼ cup coconut cream)
- 1 cup Ice (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar (or honey (optional) )
- In a blender add the chopped pineapples, lemon juice, sugar, and coconut milk. Top with crushed ice. Blend until smooth. Note - I like my drinks cold but without ice so I omitted the ice in the video
- Pour into individual smoothie glasses. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and straw. Pro tip - Taste and adjust sweetness and consistency. You can add more pineapples or coconut milk to your taste.
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you