This Kahlua chocolate milkshake is made with my homemade chocolate mix. It's rich, chocolaty, and has the thickness of pouring custard. And, of course, Kahlua, which makes everything better.
Table of Content
Have you tried my homemade cocoa mix yet? You must! It's the absolute best you will ever make. I never buy cocoa mix anymore. Not just because homemade is better, but my cocoa mix really makes a thick and indulgent chocolate drink. Whether you want it hot or cold - for summer or winter.
The only disadvantage of this drink is that you have to plan ahead. I make a hot chocolate drink, place it in the fridge for a couple of hours for it to cool. Then, I add the Kahlua!
- I have tried to just add the chocolate powder to the cold milk. It works, and it makes a delicious chocolate milkshake, but not as thick as when you cook the hot chocolate.
- And, I've even added lots of ice cream to make it thicker - works great, but I still prefer this thick milkshake that's not loaded with ice cream.
I made a big milk bottle of hot chocolate and let it cool completely in the fridge. Usually overnight.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Hot chocolate mix - You can use a store-bought hot chocolate mix but if you make my recipe with real chocolate you will never buy store-bought again.
- Milk - I use dairy 3% milk. And yet, almond, coconut, or soy milks would also be delicious.
- Liquor - Today, I'm using Kahlua but Bailey's works just as well. See how to make homemade baileys in less than 10 minutes.
- Ice cream - You can use vanilla or chocolate. In fact, try some Belgian dark chocolate ice cream.
Step by step instructions
- In a heavy-bottom saucepan, over medium heat, bring the milk to almost boil.
- Add the hot chocolate mix.
- Using a whisk, stir until the mixture dissolves and slightly thickens (don't over thicken - it should still be pouring consistency).
- If necessary, add milk to bring to consistency.
- Pour into a measuring cup or bowl, let cool at room temperature. Then, chill for 4 hours or more.
- Pour into a blender and add the liquor.
- Top with a scoop of ice cream.
- Garnish with a strawberry or shaved chocolate.
You may also like
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ it.
Save it for later.
You can also find a collection of my recipes and tutorials here on Pinterest. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
And, don't forget to subscribe to my blog to receive new recipes by email.
Kahlua Chocolate MilkshakePrint Pin Rate Share by Email Share on FB Save Grow Saved!
1 lb = 453 grams, 1 cup = 240 ml, 1 stick = 113g, 1 tbsp= 15 ml, 1 tsp= 5 ml,
- 2 ½ cups (590 ml) Milk
- 6 tablespoon Hot chocolate mix
- ½ cup (120 ml) Kahlua
- In a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat bring the milk to almost boil.
- Add the hot chocolate mix
- Using a whisk stir until the mixture dissolves and slightly thickens. (don't over thicken - it should still be pouring consistency)
- If necessary add milk to bring to consistency.
- Pour into a measuring cup or bowl, let cool at room temperature then chill for 4 hours or more
- Pour into a blender and add the Kahlua
- Top with a scoop of ice cream
- Garnish with a strawberry or shaved chocolate
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
LOVE LOVE LOVE this one. Made it a couple of times this summer. I am obsessed with Kahlua so I couldn't stop drinking this.
Thank you, Flor. So happy to hear you had success with this recipe and that you enjoyed it. I love Kahlua very much too. Thank you for coming back to write this feedback. Have a wonderful weekend.