Kahlua Chocolate Milkshake - Absolutely the best treat
This Kahlua chocolate milkshake is made with my homemade cocoa mix. It's rich, chocolaty and has the thickness of pouring vanilla pastry cream. And, of course, Kahlua, which makes everything better. Doesn't it?
Homemade Cocoa Mix
Have you tried my homemade cocoa mix yet? You must! It's the absolute best you will ever make. I never buy cocoa mix anymore. Not just because homemade is better, but my cocoa mix really makes a thick and indulgent chocolate drink. Whether you want it hot or cold - for summer or winter.
I've already shared with you how to make a cinnamon mocha hot chocolate mix when I shared the cocoa mix. So, I do hope you will try it in summer.
Oh the wait... Kahlua Chocolate Milkshake
The only disadvantage of this drink is that you have to plan ahead. I make a hot chocolate drink, place it in the fridge a couple of hours for it to cool in all it's thick glory. Then, I add the Kahlua!
- I have tried to just add the powder to the cold milk. It works, and it makes a delicious chocolate milkshake, but not as thick as I'd like this one to be.
- And, I've even added lots of ice cream to make it thicker - works great, but I still prefer this thick chocolate milkshake that's not loaded with ice cream.
You have to try this. Only then you will know what I really mean. The wait if totally worth it.
Make hot chocolate in bulk
Here's what I usually do for my kids in summer - I made a big milk bottle of hot chocolate and let it cool completely in the fridge. Usually over night. Once it's really cold, I use that to make a smoothie adding some fruit or a milk shake, and adding either ice cream or whipped cream.
Having said that, I encourage the kids to have it just as a cold chocolate drink. So much less indulgent and rich. You know..!
Ingredients and substitutes
- Cocoa Mix - I highly recommend you make my batch of cocoa mix. But if you can't, I'd say use: 1 tbs cocoa powder, 2 tbsp powder sugar, 1 tsp cornstarch instead of the cocoa mix.
- Kahlua - I love Kahlua and Bailey's equally. And yet, I love Kahlua and it's easier and more affordable for me than Bailey's Irish Cream. Having said that, I have tried it with Bailey's - Yum..!!
- Ice Cream - I usually make this drink when I'm in an indulgent mood. So, ice cream works a treat, but it's up to you. Can't afford it - skip it. The drink is worth a treat anyway.
How to make Kahlua chocolate milkshake
To prepare Hot Chocolate
- Bring milk to almost boil.
- Add 3 tbsp Cocoa mix
- Stir till mixture dissolves and slightly thickens. (don't over thicken - should still be pouring consistency)
- If necessary add milk to bring to consistency.
- Pour into two individual cups
- Chill for a couple of hours.
- Add Kahlua - stir well
- Top with a scoop of ice cream
- Garnish with strawberry or shaved chocolate
Save this recipe on Pinterest for later
If you like smoothies and milkshakes you will enjoy some of my other combinations here - Drinks
Recipe Card - Kahlua Chocolate Milkshake
Recipe Card - Hot Cocoa Mix
The Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix aka Hot Cocoa MixPrint Pin Rate
Hot Chocolate Mix
- 250 grams (1.25 cups) Confectioner sugar
- 100 grams (1.16 cups) Cocoa powder
- 65 grams (2.29 oz) Grated semi sweet chocolate I use 60%
- 2 tbsp (1.04 oz) Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (0.52 oz) Spice powder Optional
- 1 cup Milk Powder
PREPARE HOT CHOCOLATE MIX
- Grate the chocolate with a fine grater or use a food processor.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Use a whisk to make sure the powders are mix well.
- Store it in an airtight container – I prefer to use a glass jar.
- This will store in the pantry for up to 2 months
FOR AN INDIVIDUAL DRINK
- As a guide use 2 tbsp of the chocolate mix for each cup of milk (dairy or almond milk)
- Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan or microwave-safe mug.
- Add powder to the milk – stir well to dissolve
- Return the mixture back to microwave and heat for 30 seconds more
- This activates the cornstarch in the chocolate mix and makes the hot chocolate thick and creamy.
- Top with grated chocolate or Marshmallows.
FOR A BIG BATCH OF HOT CHOCOLATE
- Warm 4 cups of milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Let come to a boil
- Then add 1/2 cup chocolate mix and stir on low until dissolved.
- Continue to stir on low until the hot chocolate becomes thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat – adjust consistency – add more milk if it is too thick.
- Pour into serving cups with more grated chocolate or marshmallows.
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you