Kahlua Chocolate Milkshake – Absolutely the best treat.
This Kahlua chocolate milkshake is made with my homemade cocoa mix. It’s rich, chocolaty and has the thickness of pouring vanilla pastry cream. And of course Kahlua which makes everything better. Doesn’t it?
Homemade Cocoa Mix
Have you tried my homemade cocoa mix yet? You must! It’s the absolute best you will ever make. I never buy cocoa mix anymore not just because homemade is better but my cocoa mix really makes a thick and indulgent chocolate drink. Weather you want it hot or cold – for summer or winter!
I’ve already shared with you have to make a Cinnamon Mocha Hot Chocolate Mix when I shared the Cocoa mix. So I do hope you will try it in summer.
Oh the wait… Kahlua Chocolate Milkshake
The only disadvantage of this drink is that you have to plan ahead. I make a Hot Chocolate drink, place it in the fridge a couple of hours for it to cool in all it’s thick glory. Then I add the Kahlua!
- I have tried to just add the powder to the cold milk. Works, and yeah it makes a delicious chocolate milkshake but not as thick as I’d like this one to be.
- and I’ve even added lots of ice cream to make it thicker -works great but I still prefer this thick chocolate milkshake that not loaded with ice cream.
You have to try this only then you will know what I really mean. The wait if totally worth it.
Make in bulk Hot Chocolate.
Here’s what I usually do for my kids in summer – I made a big milk bottle of hot chocolate and let it cool completely in the fridge. Usually over night. Once it’s really cold I use that to make a smoothie adding some fruit or a milk shake adding either ice cream or whipped cream.
Having said that – I do encourage the kids to have it just as a cold chocolate drink. So much less indulgent and rich. You know..!
Let’s talk ingredients and substitutes
- Cocoa Mix – I highly recommend you make my batch of cocoa mix but if you can’t – I’d say use – 1 tbs cocoa powder, 2 tbsp powder sugar, 1 tsp cornstarch instead of the cocoa mix
- Kahlua – I love Kahlua and Bailey’s equally but Kahlua I do love Kahlua and it’s more easier and affordable for me than Bailey’s Irish Cream is – Having said that I have tired it with Bailey’s – Yum..!!
- Ice Cream – I usually make this drink when I’m in an indulgent mood. So ice cream works a treat but it’s up to you. Can’t afford it – skip it.. The drink is worth a treat anyway.
Kahlua Chocolate Milkshake
- Homemade Cocoa Mix – 3 tbsp
- Milk 600 ml (2 1/2 cups)
- Kahlua – 120 ml (1/2 cup) – more or less works
- Ice cream – 2 scoops.
- Grated chocolate for garnish
To prepare Hot Chocolate
- Bring milk to almost boil.
- Add 3 tbsp Cocoa mix
- Stir till mixture dissolves and slightly thickens. (don’t over thicken – should still be pouring consistency)
- If necessary add milk to bring to consistency.
- Pour into two individual cups
- Chill for a couple of hours.
- Add Kahlua – stir well
- Top with a scoop of ice cream
- Garnish with strawberry or shaved chocolate
Save this recipe on Pinterest for later
If you like smoothies and milkshakes you will enjoy some of my other combinations here – Drinks
Recipe Card – Kahlua Chocolate Milkshake
Recipe Card – Hot Cocoa Mix
The Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix aka Hot Cocoa MixPrint Pin Rate
Hot Chocolate Mix
- 250 grams Confectioner sugar
- 100 grams Cocoa powder
- 65 grams Grated semi sweet chocolate I use 60%
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Spice powder Optional
Conversions - Switch between Metric & US for other measurement options
For the Hot Chocolate Mix
- Grate the chocolate with a fine grater or use a food processor.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Use a whisk to make sure the powders mix well.
- Store it in an airtight container - I prefer to use a glass jar.
To make the drink
- As a guide use 2 tbsp of powder for each cup of milk (dairy or almond milk)
- Add powder to the milk
- Heat on medium low until the mixture is thick and creamy
- Strain into individual serving cups to remove any undissolved bits of chocolate
- Top with grated chocolate or Marshmallows.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Sometimes a similar recipe video may be used. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you