No-churn ice cream needs only main 2 ingredients and 5 minutes to prep. It's richer, smoother, and creamier. And the best part is, you do not need any ice cream maker. The choices of flavors are endless, such as simple vanilla, berries, chocolates, and more.
Table of Content
No-churn ice creams have become the recent trend and it's not because the ice cream makers are expensive, but mostly due to convenience and endless options.
Having an ice cream maker means you need space to save it, and you also have to plan ahead of time and make sure you chill the bucket at least 24 hours in advance. Then, once you churn the ice cream, you have to chill it again. So by the time you actually eat the ice cream, it's like two days have gone by.
Why make no-churn ice cream?
- It needs just 2 ingredients that you probably already have on hand to make a classic recipe. The additions are optional.
- And, it takes just five minutes to whip and about 4 hours to freeze.
- Also, it makes a smooth and creamy ice cream with no ice crystals and no one will believe that it was not made using an ice cream maker.
- In addition, it has a long shelf-life. So, I make a few different flavors and keep them in the freezer.
- Blend milk and vanilla ice cream in a blender to make the most amazing vanilla smoothie you ever taste.
- And unlike traditional ice cream, this one has no eggs, which means it's eggless - one dessert for everyone.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Whipping cream - The higher the fat, the creamier your ice cream. I use 38% fat content in my whipping cream.
- Condensed milk - Condensed milk is sweetened, which is why we do not add any additional sugar. I always use my homemade condensed milk made in just 5 mins recipe. The best thing about the homemade recipe is that you can reduce the sugar.
- Vanilla - Condensed milk has vanilla in it and yet a little more goes a long way. Of course, you can omit the vanilla extract.
Step by step instructions
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the whisk attachment, whip the whipping cream until almost stiff peaks.
Pro tip - The more you whip the cream the fluffier the ice cream. But, do not overwhip or you will churn the whipping cream into butter.
- Next, add the condensed milk and vanilla extract. Mix a minute more to combine.
Pro tip - This is your basic no-churn vanilla ice cream. 😜
- Pour into an ice cream storage container and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Pro tip - For the creamiest ice cream, thaw the container for at least 10 minutes before you attempt to scoop the ice cream. This will soften any ice crystals.
You can add other ingredients, such as fruit purees, sauces, condiments to the mixture before you freeze it. For example, blueberry puree will make blueberry ice cream.
- Cream cheese ice cream - Add 8 oz of cream cheese instead of fruit puree or in addition the fruit puree to make a fruit flavored cream cheese ice cream. For example, strawberry cream cheese ice cream.
- Peanut butter ice cream - Add 1 cup peanut butter to the classic vanilla ice cream.
- Peanut butter chocolate ice cream - Add 1 cup peanut butter to my no-churn chocolate ice cream.
- Nutella ice cream - Add 1 cup Nutella to the classic vanilla ice cream or chocolate ice cream.
- Cinnamon rolls - Add ½ tsp cinnamon powder to ½ cup cream cheese. Fold into the classic vanilla ice cream and sprinkle ½ tsp cinnamon powder on top again.
Frequently asked questions
I think no-churn is not a very common term in all parts of the world. No-churn simply means that you don't need an ice cream maker. It's referring to the paddle in an ice cream maker that turns (churns) the ice cream mixture from a liquid state to a creamy ice cream consistency.
No, because it won't be sweet! The difference between evaporated and condensed milk is that condensed milk is sweet with a caramel-like flavor while evaporated milk is just thick milk with 60% of the liquid evaporated.
Using high-fat whipped cream and condensed milk is what makes this ice cream creamy without any ice crystals. Using low-fat products will result in ice crystals.
You may also like
see all ice cream and popsicle recipes
Tried my recipe? Don't forget to rate ★★★ ★★ it and leave a comment to let me know how it was.
You can also find a collection of my tutorials and recipes on Pinterest.
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more.
How to make No-Churn Ice CreamPrint Pin Rate Share by Email Share on FB Save Grow Saved!
- 1 cup (250 g) Additions (Fruit puree, sauces)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the whisk attachment, whip the whipping cream until almost stiff peaks. Pro tip - The more you whip the cream the fluffier the ice cream. But, do not overwhip or you will churn the whipping cream into butter.
- Next, add the condensed milk and vanilla extract. Mix a minute more to combine. Pro tip - This is your basic no-churn vanilla ice cream. 😜
- Pour into an ice cream storage container and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight. Pro tip - For the creamiest ice cream, thaw the container for at least 10 minutes before you attempt to scoop the ice cream. This will soften any ice crystals.
- You can add any other ingredients such as fruit purees, sauces, condiments to the mixture before you freeze it. For example, blueberry puree will make blueberry ice cream.
- Whip the cream separately, then fold the rest of the mixture into the whipped cream. This makes the end result more soft and creamy in texture.
- Crushed fruits will make a marbled effect, pureed will give a perfect blend. Adding a combination of all crushed, pureed, and whole gives a wonderful experience.
- If you use less fat the possibility of ice crystals forming can be high. A great way to reduce that is to just stir the ice cream once or twice in between.
- You can store ice cream in a metal loaf pan wrapped in aluminum foil. The foil helps prevent the formation of ice crystals. I like to use these silicon ice cream tubs with firm lids.
- Let the ice cream thaw a few minutes before you attempt to scoop it. This will give the ice crystals a moment to soften.
- I like to dip my ice cream scoop in water. This helps scoop the ice cream better.
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you