These roasted asparagus make perfect side-dish to a big meal. These garlic parmesan asparagus are roasted with just a sprinkle of garlic and parmesan so they are flavored not loaded. The best part is it takes only 20 minutes which means you don't spend too long over a side dish.
What do you serve alongside a big meal? I mean if you have a roast turkey or roast chicken it's nicer to serve a light veggies dish. Right? In our home salads, sides and appetizers are more popular than any main course. My kids do love their veggies so I must say I am blessed that I do not have to load them in cheese or white sauce.
So often when I make things like a roast chicken, prime ribs, leg of lamb kinda dishes I go with veggies like this roasted asparagus, sauteed asparagus or green beans. My kids love baked carrot sticks or baked butternut squash. Ziv and me also fancy baked eggplant or a light crostini very much.
About these asparagus
This oven-roasted garlic and parmesan asparagus are just what you need to serve on the side of the main meal. You need just a handful of ingredients and 15 minutes in the oven.
This is really a no-fuss recipe and made often in our home because it's much healthier. My kids aren't really open to eating asparagus on their own. They do enjoy beans and broccoli without any cheese but somehow we need help with asparagus. In this case, the cheese does the trick. The pan juices with the olive oil work great with bread too.
The Cheese in this recipe is not a whole lot. You don't need a ton of cheese on veggies! But the three tables add so much flavor and takes a simple vegetable dish to comfort food height.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Asparagus - Always look for fresh asparagus with a bright green color. The stalk needs to be tender not too woody. The bottom woody part that needs to be trimmed should usually be no more than 3 inches. That way you get a good long tender stem.
- Garlic - Here I have used fresh garlic but often I use roasted garlic which really adds a ton of flavor.
- Lemon juice - A little goes a long way but really helps bring out the flavor.
- Cheese - Just a tbsp of Parmesan can add a nice nutty and salty flavor. The cheddar just adds that little-melted cheese on top that makes this asparagus more inviting. Notice that the cheese is not much and yet it looks like a lot because it's grated fresh over the asparagus.
Step by step instructions (Save/Pin)
- Preheat the oven at 180 C / 360 F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper - and set aside.
- Rinse and trim the woody parts on the asparagus.
- Place asparagus in a baking tray (or sheet pan).
- Brush each asparagus with the olive oil mixture.
- Pour any remaining over the asparagus.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with grated parmesan and cheddar cheese.
- Place it back in the oven and bake for 7 to 8 more minutes until the asparagus is tender.
Frequently asked questions
Like most veggies once sauteed these asparagus will keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Not long. Similar to green beans asparagus also takes about 12 to 15 minutes
Yes, garlic and parmesan are very versatile with most veggies. You can also make it with green beans.
If you cover green veggies for long when they are cooking they will lose their bright green color. As you can see we have roasted these asparagus uncovered
Choosing asparagus is crucial. You want to choose tender, nice looking pieces. When cleaning you want to break the tough woody part of the stems as those do not become soft.
I prefer side-dishes to be easy but also not loaded with fat or cream. Here are some of my favorites
Oven-Baked Potato Wedges or Oven-Baked Potato Chips
Leek Potato Patties or Tuna or Tuna Potato Patties
Easy Swiss Chard Patties or Spinach Potato Patties
Roasted Lemon Dill Potatoes or lemon rosemary roast potatoes, skinny mashed potatoes,
Baked carrot sticks or Baked butternut squash sticks.
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST FOR LATER. TRIED MY RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH ME, PLEASE.
Share a picture of your work with me by uploading an image here below my image on this board. You can also find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
- 1 lb (450 g) Asparagus
- 2 tbsp Parmesan
- 1 tbsp Cheddar
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Preheat the oven at 180 C / 380 F
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper- set aside.
- Rinse and Trim the woody parts on the asparagus
- Place asparagus in a baking tray (or sheet pan)
- Brush each asparagus with the olive oil mixture.
- Pour any remaining over the asparagus
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes
- Remove from oven and top with grated Parmesan and Cheddar Cheese
- Place it back in the oven and bake for 7 to 8 more minutes until the asparagus is tender
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you