I often use a microwave to melt chocolate in my recipes but I know that some of you do not have microwaves. So I always say use a double boiler which is a big word for something really simple.
Basically, a double boiler is just two pans that fit perfectly together. One above and one below.
- Take a pot (like a soup pot) with little water in it.
- Find another pan (like a saucepan) that sits comfortably over that first pot
- The top pot must not touch the water in the bottom pot.
- There should be no gap between the pots to prevent the stem from the water seizing the chocolate
- Now all you do is add chocolate to the top pan.
- Place the pan with chocolate over a pot of simmering water. (Make sure the steam does not go into the chocolate or the chocolate will seize)
- Keep the heat to a low and let the chocolate gently melt away.