Cheesy Grilled Eggplant and Onion Quiche
This cheesy eggplant and onion quiche is simple easy & super simple to make and uses grilled eggplant and grilled onions. It’s a great make-ahead dish, almost all components can be made the day before.
The star of the dish the eggplant (or aubergine)
Have you realized that the Eggplant is quite a neglected vegetable? Especially considering that it has so much nutrition and benefits? And the kids? Gosh, try giving the kids an eggplant to eat? About a year ago Aadi was like – seriously mom? I don’t think so. We’ve changed that.
As kids, I remember my mom would make us eggplant and I had fun eating it. Unlike today when vegetables are available all year long ago, back then they use to be seasonal. Eggplants would grow during the months of August through October, and I think that’s exactly why kids in those times appreciated their vegetables better than us. It wasn’t available for them all the time so when it was in season everybody would make all those delicious dinners to boast about. My mom spoke of grandma making curries, salads, spread and tarts and wonderful combination to use this beautiful vegetable.
As a kid I remember my favorite was mom would grill the eggplant until it was pulp then she’d add some spices, fresh green onions, cilantro and it was almost like a spread. So delicious on toast and chapati.
About the Pie dough.
Now, I would love to lie and tell you this is homemade pie crust just so you can use my no-fail pie crust recipe but it’s not. It was one of those days when ‘time is just not a luxury’ and I have to use storebought pie crust dough.
Well, I do love my pie crust – it’s buttery, it’s flaky and honestly the easiest ever. So, if you do have a few extra minutes then please do make a homemade pie crust, because honestly, there is no comparing homemade pie crust with storebought pie crust.
A Perfect Make-A-Head dish
If you have guests coming over on a busy weekday or any day? This is a great dish to make ahead. You can grill the eggplant and onions up to three days ahead and leave them in the fridge. On the day of the party just put it all together.
How to prepare eggplant and onions slices
For the Eggplant.
- Eggplants can be easy to work.
- Wash the eggplant and cut slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place them in a plastic or stainless steel colander
- Sprinkle salt and let stand for a few minutes.
- The salt will draw out the bitter juice.
- After about 20 to 30 minutes. Use a paper towel to pat dry all the slices.
- Never wash eggplant after it’s cut. It is like a sponge and it will soak up water and the resulting dish will be soggy.
- Place the dry sliced on an oiled baking tray and bake them in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes on each side.
For the Onions.
- I prefer to grill red onions as they are the sweetest.
- Clean and cut round slices.
- Sprinkle the slices with salt to release the juice
- Place a non-stick fry pan on the stove on medium to low heat.
- Place the onion slices and let cook on each side for about 10 minutes on low.
- I do not use oil as the dry pan does a good job of drying out the juices and caramelizing.
Recipe – Cheesy Eggplant and Onion Quiche (Save/Pin)
And voila.!! If you love eggplant – this will make you want some. Right? What’s your favorite way of eating eggplants? Let me know in the comments below.
- 1 Pie crust dough – recipe here
- 1/4 cup red pesto, green pesto or even tapenade works.
- 1 grilled eggplant (as directed above)
- 2 large grilled red onions (as directed above)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- and 1/2 cup Emmental or cheddar cheese
- plus 1/2 cup mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 380 F
- Roll and line a 9″ tart pan with the pie dough.
- Let chill for 5 minutes then place pie weight and
- Pre-bake crust 7 minutes with pie weight and 3 to 5 minutes without pie weight (mine took 7 minutes without pie weights)
- Once baked. Add the rest of the ingredients
- Spread the red pesto (or green pesto or Tapenade)
- Layer grilled onion slices, followed by the eggplant slices.
- Grate the three kinds of cheeses over and
- bake further for 30 minutes at 180 C / 360 F for about 20 to 30 minutes or until golden on the top.
Don’t forget to save this recipe on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
Recipe card to print – Cheesy Eggplant and Onion Quiche
Cheesy Eggplant and Onion Quiche
This cheesy eggplant and onion quiche is simple easy & super simple to make. It’s a great make-ahead dish, almost all components can be made the day before.
Ingredients - Choose (Metric or US Customary) below
- 1 Pie Crust dough recipe here
- 1/4 cup Red pesto green pesto or even tapenade works
- 1 Grilled eggplant as directed above in the post
- 2 large grilled red onions as directed above in the post
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Emmental or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella
Preheat the oven to 190 C / 380 F
Roll and line a 9″ tart pan with the pie dough.
Let chill for 5 minutes then place pie weight and
Pre-bake crust 7 minutes with pie weight and 3 to 5 minutes without pie weight (mine took 7 minutes without pie weights)
Once baked. Add the rest of the ingredients
Spread the red pesto (or green pesto or Tapenade)
layer grilled onion slices, followed by the eggplant slices.
Grate the three cheeses over and
Bake further for 30 minutes at 180 C / 360 F for about 20 to 30 minutes or until golden on the top.
Looking for more savory pies, tart and quiche recipes?
I love making these too. Take a look at some of my wonderful pies, tarts and quiche recipe here on the blog, such as the best mushroom quiche recipe, Red pepper onion and goats cheese tarts, crustless swiss chard quiche, crustless kale artichoke ricotta quiche, artichokes and goats cheese quiche, grilled eggplant and onion quiche.