Do you have Russian piping tips stored in a box and don't know how to use them? Or have you tried them and not succeeded? In this video, I'm going to show you how I pipe my buttercream flowers with these excellent tips. Also, I give you tips and my recipe, which will make sure you pipe perfect buttercream flowers every single time. In fact, the right method and the right recipe is all you need to pipe perfect flowers.
Recently, I've had a few friends tell me they have tried the Russian piping tips with no success. And yet, the truth is that these tips are easy when you have the right buttercream recipe.
In this video tutorial, I have used my velvet American buttercream recipe. But, the best recipe to use for these tips is my stiff buttercream for piping flowers. In fact, this buttercream is firm and very delicious. And, no matter what you pipe with it, it will hold its shape. I've used it to pipe some spring buttercream flowers in this video tutorial.
For example, this floral buttercream cake is made simple with just a few Russian piping tips. I love these. Although, they take a while to get used to, but once you got it, it's gold! In fact, I started with these 10 tips a few months ago.
But, recently, I got some more - the whole set! Yup! And, I can't wait to play with these and show you what I do with them.
How to pipe buttercream flowers with Russian tips
See the top of this cake - How pretty are those tulips and roses?
And, the sides are just a simple Wilton round piping tip no 12.
As you will see, I have also used Magic Colours - this is Yellow, Fuschia, grapevine.
What is the best buttercream for Russian piping tips? (Save/Pin)
- Buttercream recipe - First, you must have the right buttercream recipe for piping. In this video, I have used my velvet American buttercream recipe which is very close to my heart. But, the best buttercream recipe for piping flowers is my Stiff Buttercream for piping flowers recipe. And, I guarantee that you will make the best buttercream flowers with this recipe. It works for me every single time.
- Buttercream Consistency - You need to make sure your buttercream is STIFF peak consistency. The right consistency will give you beautiful, well-defined buttercream flowers. Just like when you pipe buttercream ruffles or roses. So follow the recipe above closely.
- Do not whip your buttercream too much. Air pockets are not fun when piping.
- Coloring the buttercream - I prefer to add gel colors to my buttercream. You have to take into account that adding color affects the consistency of your buttercream. Make sure to accommodate that when you work on any buttercream recipes. I add much less liquid to my buttercream if I plan to do any piping. And in my buttercream recipe for piping flowers, I have taken this into account.
- Mix colors without adding too much air into your buttercream
- Some of these tip designs will look a lot better if you add two different colors instead of one. Adding two colors to your piping bag can make a massive difference to the overall look of these cupcakes. You can see below some have shades of pink and purple and some peach and pink.
- Do not skip on the leaves. Leaves will bring out the flowers beautifully. Make a bag of green buttercream - also with the same stiff buttercream recipe and use a leaf piping tip.
- The colors will deepen as they sit - so once you start the cake - make sure you finish the cake.
- If you store buttercream for later - the color may not be the same as the ones in on the cake. The colors shades will be different. In this case, it's not critical.
Can I use meringue buttercream with Russian tips?
Personally, I have uses both Swiss meringue and Italian meringue buttercream with my Russian Buttercream tips. The truth is that you can, provided you have a perfect buttercream. What does that mean? If the egg whites are whipped well and adding the butter has not lost its meringue, and you have used the right amount of butter. If you are new to using Russian Piping Tips? I highly recommend using my stiff buttercream recipe first. Master the Russian Tips first then play with different buttercream flavors and recipes.
You can use these tips on cupcakes too. I have shown you how I piped the these on cupcakes here in this video here, and the other is Mothers Day Cake with Rusian Piping tips using the techniques I have already shares with you in many of my videos.
- Different Buttercream Flavors from One Buttercream Recipe
- Buttercream Frosting Recipe 5 mins
- Russian Piping Tips Tutorial - Buttercream Flowers video
- How to decorate pumpkin cupcakes - 5 different pumpkins