Baseball Cap Cake aka New York Yankees Cap Cake
A baseball cap cake can be a perfect cake for a boy or man celebrating his birthday. This one is specifically a New York Yankees Cap Cake but most baseball caps can be made the same way. With the right cake and right technique this cake can be very easy to make. Here are more details with a few progress pictures on how I made this cake.
This is my husband’s Birthday cake. Yes, he is a big fan of the New York Yankees. In fact such a huge fan that it’s almost impossible to get is attention when the game is on. God forbid they should loose a game? It’s just makes him so sad and can ruin his mood. Totally!! So he definitely was the perfect candidate for this cake.
Do you have a sport fanatic in your home? well, then you know what I’m dealing with.Right?
How I made the New York Yankees / baseball cap cake Brim
First make the cap brim.
- This was very easy because I used my husband’s cap to make the template and then cut out a piece of gum paste exactly to the size of the template.
- Make the stitch lines using a tool stick or just prick with tooth pick (the tooth is really a long process)
- I placed parchment paper template below the gum paste brim I made and placed it on the cap brim to dry. This way it got the natural shape of the brim.
Next prepare the cake.
- Cake Flavor – This is my recipe – Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe but you can use any of my cake recipes from the blog
- Cake Frosting – I have use chocolate Ganache inside and out – but you can use American buttercream, Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue successfully as well.
- Make one dome shaped cake in a ball pan and one six inch round cake.
- Make sure your cake is not too tall, if necessary torte the layers to the size of your baseball hat.
- If you need more cake for the party, bake another cake to serve on the side or make a sheet cake under the hat to look like grass..
- Fill the cake with your choice of frosting. Crumb coat and chill before the next layers
- Once you cover the cake with Ganache or Buttercream and smooth it.
- Divide the cake into six marking some lines
- Use a small spoon or spatula to make these small dents or dips.
- Smooth them with the back of the spoon
- At the back of the cake make a small hollow with a cookie cutter.
- Ganache again to smooth the cake.
- Then cover the cake with a deep navy blue fondant.
- To get the right color use Deep blue or Navy blue and a few drops of black until you get the right shade. – I’ve discussed this in my Tip Thursday – How to make Navy Blue Color Fondant
- Smooth the fondant in to those dips/dents created.
- Use the stitch tool to make the stitch lines.
- Place the caps brim with the helps of edible glue or royal icing
- Use paper towel to support until it’s attached.
- Finally touches – Use your piping nozzle to make these circles on the cap.
Here you can see the cake and my husband’s cap besides each other.
A slide show video made with all progress pictures – subscribe for more videos every week.
Don’t forget to save this tutorial on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest
Are you new to cake decorating? Do you love cake decorating?
Click here to see some of my Index of all cake tutorials from basic to advance.