Quick Chicken Curry – just 6 ingredients
This Quick chicken curry uses just 6 main ingredients and can be made in 20 minutes. This simple, easy and effortless recipe will give you an easy chicken recipe for dinner with few ingredients. Have you ever wanted to make a quick, simple or non-spicy chicken curry? It is a perfect meal on its own over white rice or with Indian Chapati or naan. My kids even love with crusty bread.
Have you ever wanted to make a simple chicken curry? easy chicken curry? quick chicken curry? or just quick Indian dinner recipes but presumed it’s either too much work or too many ingredients or just too difficult?
What if I told you, you could make a chicken curry in 20 minutes? I know!! My friend doesn’t believe it either. Most people just assume making Indian food by default takes forever. But !! trust me there are plenty of Indian food recipes that are quick, simple and easy too. On the flip side there are plenty of Indian recipes that take longer and are difficult but today we aren’t discussing those. We want each chicken recipe with few ingredients.
Doesn’t that look delicious?
Guess what – it took only about 20 minutes to make and I used six main ingredients (the others are usually at home anyway). And, I made steamed white rice at the same time too! Steamed rice takes 15 mins to make which means I actually have a delicious Indian Chicken Curry with Rice in less than 30 mins! If you are a busy mom like me. You know how awesome that is! To be able to put food on the table in less than 30 mins. Not to mention this does look like I slaved for hours!!
What is Curry powder?
This recipe uses curry powder which is very commonly found in almost all grocery stores. You don’t even have to go to an Indian grocery store to find Curry powder. Just have a look thru your supermarket spice rack and you are bound to find one.
The most common ingredients found in curry powder are coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, black pepper, chilly powder, paprika.
The thing about curry powder today is that since there are so many different brands in the market each one has their own recipe for making this mix of spices. Some add more or less of a certain ingredient and that can make a huge difference. For example, extra cardamon and cumin can make the curry powder very hot – not spicy but very hot. Not everybody can handle that.
So my humble advice to you when choosing curry powder is – if you don’t like one brand; try a different brand but don’t give up on making chicken curry. Because most often it’s not that you don’t like curry powder but rather that brand of curry powder does suit your taste buds.
Spicy or non-spicy curry powder
Oh you do get curry powderthat have various different degrees of heat and spice. Some that are mild, spicy and hot. Usually, it refers to the amount of chilly added in – watch for that. Buy something you can handle. A little tip – if you ever add a bit extra curry powder and it turns spicy- add a cup of chopped and boiled potato. That usually help absorb some of the heat.
Let’s talk ingredients and Substitutes for our Quick Chicken Curry – (Save/Pin)
- Chicken – I love using chicken thighs because I think it absorbs more flavor. But chicken breast works just as well. So use whatever chicken meat you have on hand. Oh… Turkey breast would work beautifully in this recipe too!
- Onion – I can’t think of chicken curry without onions but most importantly nicely sauteed onions so don’t skimp on cooking those until nicely translucent.
- Ginger and Garlic – I always say the basic ingredients for good Indian food is always on three main ingredients.. onion, ginger, and garlic! I call them the holy trinity of Indian cooking! These do justice to the wonderful Indian spices you add. Having said that I highly recommend you either grate or make a paste of these because then these really dissolve and add flavor to the sauce. If you just cut them they become soft but still can be tasted in the sauce. No one likes to bite into a piece of ginger or garlic. Right? So grate it and let is saute’ well.
- Yogurt – You want to use plain yogurt – not the sweet variety!! If possible use the bio yogurt that is a tad bit sour!! And you can definitely use a homemade yogurt which I do very often. Yogurt really tenderizes the meat and adds that creaminess but if you don’t like to add dairy or yogurt to your meat – you can add coconut milk.
- Curry Powder – Now I already said everything I had to say about curry powder above -in fact very soon I will give you my recipe for homemade curry powder spice as well and you will love it.
Did you believe Chicken Curry can be ready in just 20 minutes? Well, you going to love this one.
Recipe – Quick Chicken Curry – Just 6 ingredients (Save/Pin for later)
For the Chicken Curry
- Chicken – 800 grams boneless
- Onion – 1/2 cup chopped
- Ginger – 1 tbsp grated
- Garlic – 1 tbsp minced
- Curry Powder – 2 tbsp
- Yogurt – 120 ml (1/2 cup)
Extra – which I didn’t count as an ingredient
- Canola or cooking Oil – 2 tbsp
- Fresh Herbs – 1/2 cup chopped (cilantro or parsley)
- Water – 250 ml (1 cup)
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Clean and cut chicken into bite-size pieces
- Saute onion, ginger, and garlic in oil until onions are nicely translucent.
- Add curry powder and a few tbsp of water to help the spices saute’
- Cook the spices on low adding a few tablespoons water until fragrant (30 secs)
- Add chicken and cook another minutes or two.
- Then add the yogurt, lemon juice, and fresh herbs – stir well to combine.
- Lastly, add water – stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Let come to a boil – cover the pan and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes check if the chicken is cooked and adjust seasoning.
- Check consistency – add more water if needed. Let come to a boil again.
- Once the chicken is cooked and you have the gravy you need – remove from heat.
- I love to have this over white rice or chapati
Don’t forget to save this recipe on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
Video – Quick Chicken Curry with just 6 ingredients
Quick Chicken Curry with Just 6 Ingredients
This Quick chicken curry uses just 6 main ingredients and can be made in 20 minutes. This simple, easy and effortless recipe will give you an easy chicken recipe for dinner with few ingredients. Have you ever wanted to make a quick, simple or non-spicy chicken curry?
For the Chicken Curry
- Chicken - 800 grams boneless
- Onion - 1/2 cup chopped
- Ginger - 1 tbsp grated
- Garlic - 1 tbsp minced
- Curry Powder - 2 tbsp
- Yogurt - 120 ml 1/2 cup
Extra - which I didn't count as an ingredient
- Canola or cooking Oil - 2 tbsp
- Fresh Herbs - 1/2 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- Water - 250 ml 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
Clean and cut chicken into bite-size pieces
Saute onion, ginger, and garlic in oil until onions are nicely translucent.
Add curry powder and a few tbsp of water to help the spices saute'
Cook the spices on low adding a few tablespoons water until fragrant (30 secs)
Add chicken and cook another minutes or two.
Then add the yogurt, lemon juice, and fresh herbs - stir well to combine.
Lastly, add water - stir well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Let come to a boil - cover the pan and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes
After 10 minutes check if the chicken is cooked and adjust seasoning.
Check consistency - add more water if needed. Let come to a boil again.
Once the chicken is cooked and you have the gravy you need - remove from heat.
I love to have this over white rice or chapati