Halloween Witch’s Hat Cupcake Topper with Apple Blueberry Cupcakes
Witch’s Hat Cupcake Topper is a simple and easiest sweet treat you can make in less than five minutes and ball of back fondant in your hands for this Halloween. Kids love their cupcakes topped with anything witchy – right?
Well it’s almost Halloween!! Have you made plans yet? Well, look at me I have already started getting Halloween Orders, which actually is not very common here in Israel.
Yeah here we don’t celebrate Halloween but they do have something similar in the month of March called Purim when everybody dresses in costumes. It’s just like Halloween but just a different name and not scary. Kids mostly dress in costumes of their favorite super heroes and Princesses, not necessarily into horror stuff.
I made these for a birthday girl recently. She loves Halloween so her request was to make Halloween cupcakes with her friends. So of course I chose to make the ones that kids would love the most… Witch’s Hat, Broom, Boots, Cauldron, Pumpkins, Skull and Bones, ghost. The kids really loved it.
It’s was a great celebration cause the parents really did a great job in letting the kids get a Halloween experience.
Cupcake Recipes –
We kept to some simple fall inspired cupcake recipes which I have shared before with you. Some Apple Blueberry Cupcakes, some were Pumpkin Spice Apple Cupcakes and some like these are my Scrumptious Brown Butter Cupcakes. The recipe card is below for you convenience.
Don’t forget to save this tutorial on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest
Witch’s Hat Cupcake Toppers
Recipe – Apple Blueberry Cupcakes
Apple Blueberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield 18 cupcakes
The sweet apple flavor and the tart Blueberry filling of these apple blueberry cupcakes is what really tastes these cupcakes a long way. A simple light and fluffy brown sugar vanilla batter with cinnamon flavored apples gives these an almost caramel like sweetness.
For the Cupcake batter
- 160 grams (1 1/4 cup )- All Purpose Flour
- 175 grams ( 1 3/4 cups) - Light Brown Sugar
- 170 grams ( 3/4 stick) - unsalted butter at room temperature.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Apple
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp baking Soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Classic Cream Cheese Frosting
- 113 grams (1/ 2 cup) Butter
- 8 oz (1 cup ) Cream Cheese
- 375 to 425 grams (3 to 3 1/2 Cups) Powder Sugar or Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 160 C / 320 F.
- Line your muffin pan with cupcake wrappers
- Core, peel and chop apples into small thin almost minced pieces (I like them to almost dissolve in the batter)
- Combine together sour cream and apples.
- Swift together - flour, baking powder, baking soda, Cinnamon & salt.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Alternate the flour mix and sour cream/apple mix in to the mixer.
- Once all the ingredients are in. Scrape the sides of the bowl and give it another mix on medium for 30 secs until a smooth batter is achieved.
- Divide batter into the cupcake wrappers about 3/4 full.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160 C / 320 F for about 18 to 20 mins.
- Cool completely before you decorate
- In a sauce pan - add blueberries, sugar and lemon juice
- In a separte bowl - add cornstarch to 3 tbsp water or use some of the blueberry juice
- Place blueberry pan on medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved
- add the cornstarch slurry - cook on low until thickened.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese
- Add vanilla extract
- Continue to mix adding powder sugar one cup at a time.
- Mix well with each addition so you have a nice light and fluffy whipped cream like consistency.
- Once you have between soft to firm peaks good for piping - you can stop
- Use in a piping bag with a star tip
Decorate the Cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes are cooled
- Core out the center with an apple corer
- Place a teaspoon of blueberry filing in the center
- Pipe with cream cheese frosting (as shown in the video above)
Serving Size 103 g
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 15.4 g
Saturated Fat 9.5 g
Unsaturated Fat 5.6 g
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 59 mg
Sodium 185 mg
Total Carbohydrates 43.9 g
Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
Sugars 35.9 g
Protein 2.8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.