Halloween Skull and Bones Cupcake Toppers
Nothing makes kids more excited then to have some Halloween inspired cupcakes with spooky cupcake toppers. These Halloween Skull and Bones Cupcake Toppers are bound to do the trick. Simple easy to create with no special equipment needed.
It’s just the beginning of October but my kids are all excited about Halloween. Truth be told we don’t celebrate Halloween here in Israel. But being American my kids kinda miss all the Halloween fun. I try to do as much as I can so I make cupcakes and even let them wear their favorite costumes. I think Aadi’s biggest frustration usually is that his friends have not clue what Halloween is. So he goes on a mission to share with them movies, stories, and of course make mama create some cute Halloween treats.
How cute are these? Well perhaps cute is not the right word here hanh? We are they spooky but not really scary!
This year however, I had these Halloween Inspired Cupcake Orders – what fun!
I made these for a birthday girl recently. She loves Halloween so her request was to make Halloween cupcakes with her friends. So of course I chose to make the ones that kids would love the most… Witch’s Hat, Broom, Boots, Cauldron, Pumpkins, Skull and Bones, ghost. The kids really loved it.
They wanted to take part in the cupcake making so they were given the opportunity to add their own frosting. I showed them how to add a dollop of frosting and then smooth it with a spatula. I think they really enjoyed it. They made some with just simple swirls and sprinkles.. The mom had got some really cute Halloween hats and cups as give away for the kids.
The dad when one step ahead and created a spooky atmosphere. Unfortunately she didn’t want me to share any of the party pictures on my blog. I totally appreciate that. I have kids too!
Cupcake Recipes –
We kept to some simple fall inspired cupcake recipes which I have shared before with you. Some Apple Blueberry Cupcakes, some were Pumpkin Spice Apple Cupcakes and some like these are my Scrumptious Brown Butter Cupcakes. The recipe card is below for you convenience.
Halloween skull and Bones Cupcake Toppers with Scrumptious Brown Butter Cupcakes
I will be sharing with you the rest of the cupcakes I made a total of six. Witches Cauldron, Witches Hats, Witches Broom, Witches Boots, Halloween Pumpkins and Skull and Bones. I will update the links below here.
Don’t forget to save this tutorial on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest
Scrumptious Brown Sugar Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream
Yield 12 Cupcakes
This Brown Sugar Cupcakes recipe takes the basic vanilla cupcake to a unique level. The molasses in the brown sugar add a unique flavor and gorgeous color to the cupcakes and buttercream.
For the Cupcakes
- Unsalted Butter - 113 grams or 1 stick
- Light Brown Sugar - 100 grams (1/2 cup)
- Eggs - 2 large
- Fresh Cream - 1/2 cup
- All Purpose Flour - 175 grams (1 3/4 cups)
- Baking Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla - 1 tsp
For the Buttercream
- Unsalted Butter - 113 grams (1 stick)
- Brown Sugar (Powder)- 100 grams (1/2 cup)
- Powder Sugar/Confectioners Sugar - 125 grams (1 cup)
- Fresh cream - 2 tbsp
- Vanilla - 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 160 C / 320 F
- Prepare baking cups or cupcake wrappers in a muffin tray.
- Sift flour with salt and baking powder
- Cream Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time scraping the sides of the bowl often.
- Next add cream and flour mix in three batches.
- Lastly add Vanilla.
- Use an ice cream scoop to distribute the batter evenly between 12 cupcakes wraps or 10 Baking Cups.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 18 to 22 minutes or until the skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Chill Cupcake completely before you decorate.
Make the Buttercream
- Place the brown sugar in a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Cream the butter, cream and sugar until light and fluffy.
- When all the brown sugar has dissolved
- Add the Powder Sugar
- Lastly add Vanilla.
Pipe the Buttercream
- Place buttercream into a piping bag with your favorite piping tip and pipe a swirl.
- Alternatively use a spatula to create a dome on the cupcake.
- I like to sprinkle them with some Brown Sugar as well.
- These cupcakes will stay at room temperature in good weather for up to 2 days.
- In the fridge for about 4 days if wrapped well.
Serving Size 76 g
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 11.7 g
Unsaturated Fat 6.7 g
Trans Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 82 mg
Sodium 119 mg
Total Carbohydrates 36.3 g
Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
Sugars 24.5 g
Protein 2.9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Don’t Forget to check out the rest of the Halloween Inspired Cupcake Toppers. You can find them here under Cupcake Decorating Tutorials Or you can check my Tutorial Index to see a list of all available tutorials at a glance on this blog