This sticky ginger chicken is "finger-licking" good. It's super easy to make and needs no special ingredients or any prep time. In fact, all you need are simple ingredients that are probably already in your kitchen.
My little Rhea has two absolute favorite chicken recipes - one is teriyaki chicken and the other is this sticky ginger chicken. And she will eat the sauce with her little finger so beautifully that she will make you hungry. Just too adorable.
I often make this with boneless chicken thighs. But, I honestly like sucking on those bones and getting all that sauce out.
I think ginger is a very unique flavor. And, it's used often in Asian cooking. It's a root vegetable that really brings out the flavors in meats. In fact, it's an almost must-use ingredient in Indian cooking. Therefore, you will notice I use it a lot in my recipes. I even infuse it into my tea.
And, did you know that ginger is a very good antioxidant? And it also helps raise metabolism. Just boil a cup of water with a piece of ginger (add cinnamon too). Then, discard the ginger, use a tea bag and a little sugar and you have a nice herbal tea.
However, I better not get carried away with my ginger stories. I even love ginger candy! Yup, love it.
Quick and easy
Well, it takes barely 20 minutes from start to finish. In fact, you can also marinate the chicken a few hours ahead and keep. And I serve it with steamed white rice but it could also go with noodles.
Step by step instructions
Clean and pat dry chicken. Season with salt, pepper, paprika. Next, add flour to coat the chicken on all sides. And set aside for a few minutes.
- Add oil to a saute pan.
- Brown seasoned chicken on all sides for about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, saute onion for a minute. There should be oil left from the chicken. If not, add one tbsp oil.
- Next, add in the garlic and the ginger - and saute another minute.
- And pour the sauce into the pan with one cup of water.
- Then, place the chicken into the sauce - let come to a boil.
- Once boiled, cover with a lid and let it cook for 10 minutes covered.
- Then, turn chicken over and cook another 10 to 15 minutes uncovered so that the sauce with thicken as the chicken is cooking.
- Once the sauce is thick, check for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or spring onions leaves for garnish.
You may also like
Tried my recipe? Don't forget to rate ★★★ ★★ it and leave a comment to let me know how it was.
You can also find a collection of my tutorials and recipes on Pinterest.
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more.
Sticky Ginger ChickenPrint Pin Rate Share by Email Share on FB Save Grow Saved!
For the recipe
- 8 pieces (8 pieces) Chicken thighs or boneless
- 1 tsp Paprika sweet or hot
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Flour to coat
- 1 Onion chopped fine
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- ½ inch Ginger minced or julienne
- ½ Pepper
For the Sauce
- ⅓ cup (5.00 tbsp) Brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (5.00 tbsp) Soya sauce
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 cup (240 ml) Water
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped for garnish
- Clean and pat dry chicken. Season with salt, pepper, paprika. Add flour to coat the chicken on all sides. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Add oil to a saute pan.
- Brown seasoned chicken on all sides for about 2 to 4 minutes
- remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan - saute onion for a minute. There should be oil left from the chicken if not add one tbsp oil.
- Add in the garlic and the ginger - saute another minute
- Pour sauce into the pan with one cup water
- Place the chicken into the sauce - let come to a boil.
- Once boiled cover with a lid - let cook for 10 minutes covered
- Turn chicken over and cook another 10 to 15 minutes uncovered so that the sauce with thicken as the chicken is cooking.
- Once the sauce is thick. Check for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or spring onions leaves for garnish
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you