A pregnant belly cake is a common cake to make for any mom to be. It’s a simple and easy cake using three ball pans and a little bit of creativity. You can make it as simple or as elaborate depending on time available or your skills. Here are the basics of what you need and how to do go about it in this video tutorial.
I recently made this pregnant belly cake for a customer. This is my third such cake since I started making cakes two years ago.
I think it’s a rather fun cake to make and kinda weird at the same time. Not sure if you understand but not everybody is comfortable with the idea of a baby belly – know what I mean.
Like I said, a pregnant belly cake can be a fun cake to make and who doesn’t like the idea of a pretty dress. In fact, the dresses for pregnant women are getting more trendy and exotic nowadays. As a result, you have many more options than just draping fondant like a boring cake.
I did make a video for you on how I made this cake, but I’m going to have to apologize in advance that in some parts I did not realize I was out of focus or rather the angle of the camera was not right.
Well, I’m still new to this video making process, so I hope that as I continue to make more videos for you I will get better over time.
Pregnant belly cake – Video tutorial
Here is the video I made for you I do hope you like it and I do hope you find it a tad useful.
As you can see in the video above I have used:
- Two round bowls for the boobs and one large bowl for the belly.
- The two round bowls were too broad. So, I trimmed the sides and they didn’t have enough height. Therefore, I used the trimmings to add more height.
- Then, I filled and crumb coated them – you can also do these separately and then add the three pieces together if it helps.
- Once you put all the three pieces together – it’s time to design the dress.
- If you are new and not comfortable with a more elaborate design – you can do one large piece of fondant and drape the who cake. Cut out the extra and add some extra details to finish the cake.
- Here I have used fondant strips to give the boobs the pleated look then draped a skirt out of a large piece of fondant.
- The rest is easy – a belt, flower and a few extra details are all it takes.
I do hope you find this useful.