How to make a Doughnut Cake – Fondant Donut Cake Tutorial
A doughnut cake can be a fun cake to make for any birthday celebration, no matter what age. Whether you are five or fifty you will love having this food cake that looks like a real donut. It’s really a simple, easy and effortless video tutorial on how to make a donut cake aka doughnut cake tutorial from scratch including how to make fondant sprinkles and sugar glaze for that glossy look.
I made this sweet Cake for my little Rhea’s class teacher’s birthday. Of course, Rhea was most excited about it than anyone else.
I chose to make a Doughnut because – it’s Hanuka this week and you eat Jam Doughnut for Hanuka..right? The Jam doughnut is more simple in shape; just a dome without the hole..!! So I made the regular Doughnut instead. Still a doughnut!! Ha….!!
Here is my proud daughter with her teacher.
Is it Doughnut or Donut?
A Doughnut Cake is a super fun cake to make so I decided to take a video and share it with you. When it came time to add the tutorial I go… ah.. should I spell it as a Doughnut Cake or Donut cake? Of course, google to the rescue.
So, Google says, the Oxford dictionary spelling is, ‘Doughnut’. Apparently, the word ‘Donut’ is an American word or this confection. The spelling donut is only used in the US. Now, I grew up, of course, always spelling it as doughnut so… of course I called my tutorial doughnut cake tutorial. No matter how you spell it or how you pronounce it a doughnut is a donut is a doughnut!!
How to make a Donut Cake aka Doughnut Cake Tutorial.
As always here are a few details of the cake.
- Cake Recipe – Bake a cake that is easy to carve such as my vanilla or chocolate pound cake, vanilla cream cake or sponge cake.
- Size of Cake – You will need two layers of 7 or 8 inch round cakes each about two 2 inches tall.
- I used my Velvet American Buttercream Recipe to frost the outside of the cake. The center is filled with Strawberry Buttercream which again is my Velvet American buttercream. Here’s how to take one buttercream recipe and make many different flavors such as this strawberry buttercream.
- You could use any of my homemade Fondant recipe and color with Ivory food gel colors.
- I have used Magic Colors Ivory and Bazooka Pink.
Video on YouTube – How to make a Doughnut Cake aka Donut Cake Tutorial
Don’t forget to subscribe for more videos every week.
Glaze Recipe for the Doughnut Cake /Donut Cake
- The Glaze is just corn syrup with Bazooka Pink. I added pink because I wanted the pink a bit brighter than I had. You can use just plain corn syrup or omit the corn syrup all together.. I just liked the glazed look.
Don’t forget to save this tutorial on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
Are you new to cake decorating? Do you love cake decorating?
Click here to see some of my Index of all cake tutorials from basic to advance.
Love cake? Want more cake recipes?
Take a look at some of the most delicious cake recipes I have for you on this blog. All recipes are tried and tested. Whether you looking for a simple one bowl vanilla cake recipe, a fruit-flavored recipe for spring or luxurious recipe with decadent frostings. I’m sure you will find something you will love. Alternatively, take a look at my Recipe Index to see a list of all recipes on this blog.