How to Freeze Mangoes - How to Preserve Mangoes for a long time.
One of the best ways to eat fruits offseason is to preserve them for a long time meaning freeze them. You can freeze mangoes in slices or as mango pulp. You can also preserve mangoes by making mango fillings, chutney and pickles. This is a simple easy and effortless way to freeze mangoes but this technique can be used with almost any seasonal fruits.
By now you know I'm not a big fan of canned goods especially when I have an abundance of the good stuff around.
Nor am I a big fan of freezing food. BUT I do love having fruits during offseason. For example how about a delicious Mango Mousse during winter.. yum yum... So yes my freezer usually never has frozen cakes or foods but always has frozen mangoes and strawberries.
My kids love mangoes, especially juices and desserts. I remember one of my favorite drinks as a kid was mango squash and Mango Lassi.
Now my kids favorite is Mango Yogurt Drink / Mango Lassi, and of course, by now you know my love affair with Mousses so yes we love our Mango Mousse!
How to Preserve Fruits for a longer time? (Save/Pin)
So, if you do have some fruit in season and want to freeze them. Here's the easiest way. Here I show you how to freeze mangoes but you can do the same with almost all fruits in season. I showed use the same technique - how to freeze strawberries
Let's talk a little more about how to preserve mango/freeze mangoes (Save)
Choosing the right mangoes.
- If you choose ripe but firm mangoes they thaw well and can be used for dessert toppings too.
- Some mangoes become very soft when thawed but they are still usable. So choose the fruit wisely.
- Remember ripe but firm mangoes are what you are looking for.
Clean the mangoes
- Wash and wipe the mangoes you want to freeze.
- Use a peeler and peel the skin off the mangoes. Messy job - Watch those pretty fingers because it's a slippery job.
Chop the mangoes.
- First the two cheeks around the seed. Then the flesh around the center seed.
- Save the big chunks separately.
- The small cuts can be made into a puree and frozen too.
- Lay the nice large pieces on to a tray with parchment paper; or plastic wrap.
- The pieces should not touch each other so they freeze individually.
- Cover well with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for a couple of hours or overnight.
Store in a ziplock bag
- Once frozen - pick individual pieces from the tray and drop into a ziplock bag.
- Close the bag well - removing as much air as possible.
- Now place back into the freezer.
- Viola! You now have frozen mangoes
How to freeze mango pulp
- When cleaning and chopping mangoes you have the small pieces.
- I find the best way to freeze them is to bend them into pulp using a blender.
- Place in a ziplock back and into the freezer.
- If you have a lot of purees? I suggest you freeze them into smaller bags then place those bags into one ziplock back. The way you keep your freeze tidier.
- The reason you want smaller bags? is so you do not have to thaw a big bag of mango pulp and then not use the whole batch
How to use frozen mangoes
- When you need to use. Just pick the number of pieces you need out of the bag.
- Place on a small plate and let thaw in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- I find that when freezing in the fridge at cooler temperature slowly makes the mangoes hold their shape better.
So now you have frozen mangoes to use all thru the year. Wasn't that really easy?
Don't forget to save this recipe on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
Love Mangoes? Me too!
If you looking for more mango inspiration then you will find a wonderful collection of my recipes here on the blog.
See all mango desserts. Alternatively, you can see my Recipe Index to see a full list of all recipes on this blog