Cilantro Lemon Chicken – Appetizer or Sides
Morsels of chicken coated with a cilantro lime marinade make a perfect appetizer, side, or serve with some buttered noodles for the main course. This cilantro lemon chicken is as quick as any stir-fry dish with no added fuss and takes less than 20 minutes to make. The cilantro paste is packed with flavors of lime, ginger, garlic, and soy.
This has been an awfully busy week with cake orders and sick kids. It’s time for the kids to go back to school so… they are not in a good mood. We had a lot of fun this summer but of course, it’s never enough.
Do you love cilantro? It’s a thing about cilantro you either love it or hate it.!! Right? There’s no middle. I love cilantro. In fact, I’m not much of a parsley person so I will often substitute cilantro for any dish that calls for parsley.
Now, this dish has lots of cilantro if you make it – you gotta make sure you offer it to people who love cilantro. The lemon garlic and ginger do help enhance the flavor but in general, you must love cilantro to enjoy this dish.
About this recipe – Cilantro Lemon Chicken
I will be honest and tell you that I have served this for lunch, dinner as an appetizer, a side dish and even made wraps with this!! Sooo good!
- As an appetizer, I served them on small toast with a drop of ketchup,
- goes well as a side dish alongside most other meals.
- I make a bowl of noodles and add the noodles to the chicken. The sauce just coats the noodles so beautifully you don’t need anything else.
- Wraps are the easiest. My kids love these so left over usually go in wraps with a mix of salad. Perfect for the kid’s lunch boxes.
Moral of the story?? MAKE EXTRAS!! When I am traveling for my cake classes I usually have a handful of recipes that my kids love to eat and that save well in the freezer. This is one of them. I cook just like this. Ziv has used them a few times so he knows how versatile this dish is.
So let’s talk ingredients and substitutes (Save/Pin)
- Chicken – By now you know I love chicken thighs so that’s usually what I use. But you are free to use chicken breast. Just know that chicken breast cooks much faster than chicken thighs.
- Cilantro – I’d love to say use parsley but I have never tried it. Cilantro works perfectly. The quantity can be reduced to make it less intense.
- Soy sauce – does add a nice color and diffuses the strong flavors. You can hardly taste it so don’t omit it.
- Lemon – it’s really mild with just 2 tbsp so don’t omit. You can add more but I suggest to taste first. I do love lemon but I don’t like when it takes over the rest of the flavors.
Recipe – Cilantro Lemon Chicken in less than 15 minutes (Save/Pin)
- Chicken breast or thighs – 500 grams (1 lbs) cut to bite size pieces
- Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 2 large clove
- Ginger – 1-inch piece
- Corn flour / starch – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 1 cup roughly chopped
- Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Cilantro sprigs – 10 (1 cup chopped)
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and cut chicken into bite-size pieces
- Season with salt and pepper
- Set aside
Prepare Cilantro paste
- Clean and roughly chop the onion, ginger, garlic, and cilantro
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
- Add two tablespoons water if necessary to get started.
- Heat a large wok or wide pan with 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Add the cornflour/cornstarch to the chicken – toss well
- Add chicken to the hot oil. Stir and Saute for two minutes until seared on all sides
- Add the cilantro paste and soy sauce – mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper. (not too much as the soy sauce has salt)
- Continue to cook on medium heat until the chicken is cooked about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Lastly, add the lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning
Don’t forget to save this recipe on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
Cilantro Lemon Chicken in less than 15 minutes
This cilantro lemon chicken is a versatile dish that makes a great side dish, appetizer or main course if served with rice or noodles. Simple easy and ready in less than 15 minutes.
Ingredients - Choose (Metric or US Customary) below
- 500 grams Chicken breast or thighs cut to bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 tbsp Corn flour / starch
- 1 cup Onion roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 10 sprigs Cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
Clean cut chicken into bite-size pieces
Season with salt and pepper
Prepare Cilantro paste
Clean and roughly chop the onion, ginger, garlic, and cilantro
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
A two tablespoons water if necessary to get started.
Heat a large wok or open faces pan with 2 tbsp cooking oil
Add the cornflour/cornstarch to the chicken - toll well
Add chicken to the hot oil. Stir and Saute for two minutes until seared on all sides
Add the cilantro paste and soy sauce - mix well.
Season with salt and pepper. (not cornflour/cornstarch much as the soy sauce has salt)
Continue to cook on medium heat until the chicken is cooked.
Lastly, add the lemon juice.
Taste and adjust seasoning