Rice Krispy Treats in Cake Decorating
For some of us using Rice Krispy Treats on our cakes in not new but recently I’ve been getting a lot of questions regarding RKT. So I thought I’d share some more information with you about rice krispy’s treats in cake decorating. Why it’s used, when it’s used and how to make it.
What are Benefits of Rice Krispy Treats in Cake Decorating:
Rice Krispy treats are a great way to add sculpted designs to your cake. Items that would not hold their shape is cake can be made in RKT.
To add support for structures – such as make the bottom part of your soccer ball with RTK for added support.
Enlarge the design of your cake by substituting part of the cake with RTK. Make the head of a figure with RKT which otherwise can be difficult to support.
For example – remember my son’s birthday cake? The Sports Shoe Cake I shared before.
The bottom 1/3 of the Basket Ball is RKT.
Why? The weather her in the month of may is way too hot for butter cream or Ganache to survive so if I used all cake. There is no way the bottom half of that cake would hold it’s shape. And My son insisted on a full ball. So RKT to the rescue.
Here’s another example – The ball is RKT
How to make Rice Krispy’s Treats for Cake Decorating
Now I know there are many many recipes floating on the internet so it’s confusing which it is the right recipe?
Technically to make rice krispy treats for cake decorating purposes you only need rice crispy cereals and a sticky element that will help them cling to each other.
Most people use RKT cereals with marshmallows. All you do is melt your marshmallows and add enough RC cereals so they stick to each other making it possible to mold or ball up.
Want your customers to enjoy cakes that taste as delicious as they look?
Check out my collections of VAOC Calculated Recipes.
Wondering how much batter you need?
Have no time to calculate your recipes?
Are you sure your recipe will work the same when doubled or tripled?
Don't know how to convert recipes?
Do you need a 4 inch tall cake?
or perhaps a 6" tall cake?
Round or Square cake?
Don't worry - I can help!!
My Tried and Tested recipes are already calculated for your convenience.
I have calculate 15 different size pans for you in each PDF - be it Round or Square & and yes both 4 or 6 inch tall cakes.
So now a single tier or double barrel baking is a piece of cake with my PDFs.
visit Calculate Recipe section Now !
200 grams Marshmallow
200 grams Rice Crispy Cereals.
100 grams Chocolate
30 grams Butter
Use a Microwave Safe Bowl
Grease the Bowl with some of the butter.
Add Marshmallow, Chocolate and remaining Butter in the same bowl.
Melt in the microwave at 50% for about 30 to 40 seconds.
Stir and melt some more if needed for 10 sec intervals.
Once it’s all melted – Add the rice crispy cereals to it and mix well with a greased spoon.
Pour into a greased tray and let the mixture cool.
Once the mixture is cool enough to handle
!How to mold Rice Krisp’s Treats for Cake Decorating
It is very easy to mold RFT into shapes. Once you mix the batch just form it into your desired shape.
Let dry for a few hours before you continue. Once hardened it gets easier to cut with a knife and shape further.
!Smoothing Rice Krispy’s Treats for Cake Decorating
Use melted Chocolate, modelling chocolate, Royal Icing or fondant into small dents or uneven parts to achieve a smooth finish.
Then drape with Fondant to get a perfect smooth finish.
Rice Krispy's Treats for Cake Decorating
Yield 2 cups
- [easyazon_link identifier="B002C80094" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Bowl[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B008H2JLPS" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Wooden Spoon[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B004078WRW" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Rice Krispy[/easyazon_link]
for the Rice Krispy Treats
- 200 grams Marshmallow
- 200 grams Rice Crispy Cereals.
- 100 grams Chocolate
- 30 grams Butter
- Use a Microwave Safe Bowl
- Grease the Bowl with some of the butter.
- Add Marshmallow, Chocolate and remaining Butter in the same bowl.
- Melt in the microwave at 50% for about 30 to 40 seconds.
- Stir and melt some more if needed for 10 sec intervals.
- Once it's all melted - Add the rice crispy cereals to it and mix well with a greased spoon.
- Pour into a greased tray and let the mixture cool.
- Once the mixture is cool enough to handle
How to mold Rice Krisp's Treats for Cake Decorating
- It is very easy to mold RFT into shapes. Once you mix the batch just form it into your desired shape.
- Let dry for a few hours before you continue. Once hardened it gets easier to cut with a knife and shape further.
Smoothing Rice Krispy's Treats for Cake Decorating
- Use melted Chocolate, modelling chocolate, Royal Icing or fondant into small dents or uneven parts to achieve a smooth finish.
- Then drape with Fondant to get a perfect smooth finish.
Substitute for marshmallows.For those of you that cannot use marshmallows you can use only melted chocolate. Marshmallows is however more economical.
Cuisine Cake Accessories
Tried not tested – I once melted modelling chocolate instead of just chocolate and used it with my Rice Cereals. I personally found it better than melted chocolate but since I have not tried it more than once I still can’t give you a thumps up on that. I do find that particular batch was more smooth perhaps the corn syrup added to the smooth texture.
Note : For those of you in India and don’t fine Rice Krispy Cereals; you do actually get puffed rice (poha). Puffed rice is almost the same equivalent of Rice Krispy’s that might work well. If you do try let me know. Thanks
I do hope that helps you in your next cake adventure.
Have fun sculpting.