There has got to be some gum paste Easter bunnies on my Easter cake. You can make them sitting or lying down in any form and they look just adorable. I show you how to make the two I know - simple easy and quick in this video and picture tutorial.
Video - How to make gum paste bunny
I was going to make some bunnies on my Easter cake, I thought why not make a little tutorial and show you how easy it is to make these bunnies. You must forgive me that my camera is not really a big fancy one so the quality of the picture tutorial is not so good.
I then made a video tutorial which I updated in this post instead of making a new post so you can find both the pictorial and the video here.
I have used this technique to make my gum paste Easter bunnies on many cakes.
Here's one - a basket with Easter eggs and bunnies.
You must remember this Easter cake with Peter rabbit - I have a soft corner for this one. My kids' favorite.
How to make gum paste Easter bunnies pictorial
Gum paste bunny one
- Divide the gum paste into equal proportions - Large white for the body, medium for the head, small pink for the ears, tiny pink for the nose and tiny white for the tail. Black edible pen for the eyes and a knife to cut and shape
- Roll large ball into a tear drop then flatten slightly. Cut in the center. Use the back of the knife to mark the paws.
- Turn the legs outwards or leave them straight
- For the head. shape the smaller ball into a tear drop. Flatten the pointed side.
- Flatten the ears, slightly.
- Take the small ball of pink, shape into a tear drop.
- Place on the ear and flatten the ear further. Use the back of your knife to mark a line in the center.
- Mark the eyes with your black food pen, and use the tiny pink ball to shape the nose into a triangle.
- Use a toothpick to mark the whiskers.
- Place a toothpick in the body you made earlier.
- Place the head on the body.
- For the tail - roll tiny white ball into a tear drop, flatten and stick it on.
Gum paste bunny 2
- Divide gum paste into proportions - Large for the body, medium for the head, small for the paws, small pink for the ears, tiny pink and white for the nose and tail. Spare pink for the underside of the paws and body.
- Roll the body into a tear drop, then shape into a sitting position. Roll a small spare pink gum paste into a tear drop then flatten and place on the body.
- For the paws. Roll all four balls into tear drops. Flatten two. Mark paws on all four.
- Place the paws and use spare pink gum paste to make pink under paws. (I forgot to take a picture of that)
- Place a toothpick in the body. Make the head exactly the same way I showed you for the above bunny.
- Place the head on.
- Add the tails as shown above.