Quick and Easy Black Beans Coconut Curry – Healthy Vegetarian Recipe
This black beans coconut curry is a healthy addition to any diet. You can use either dry or canned beans. This simple, easy and effortless recipe makes for a meal in less than 15 mins. Since black beans are high in protein, high in fiber and are also an excellent antioxidant, it’s a great addition to the family diet.
Healthy Recipes Collaboration
For our first collaboration, I and my food blogger friends have decided to bring you a few healthy recipes. Also, we want to make sure there is lots of variety.
So here are seven delicious light and healthy recipes for you to start the new year.
- Easy Swiss Chard Lentil Soup – Melissa of My wife can cook
- Salted Caramel Chia Oat Balls – Kristen of Treat yourself sweeter.
- Vegan Chickpea and Eggplant Dip with Dill Pesto – by Julia of Imagelicious.
- Easy healthy spicy sweet shrimp in Endive Cups – by Gloria of Homemade & Yummy.
- Easy buffalo ranch cauliflower Casserole – by Arlene of Flour on my Face
- Super Simple Green Smoothie – by Sarah of the Fit Cookie
Lentils, Legumes, and Beans in our diet (Save/Pin)
First of all, it is good to add lentils, legumes, and beans in your diet. They are a good source of nutrition, especially for kids. As a kid, my mom would make them at least once a week. We loved it.
My kids took a long time to warm up to these, now they enjoy it. And while my husband does not like beans, he eats them because they are healthy.
Let’s talk ingredients and Substitutes (Save/Pin for later)
- Coconut cream – I love coconut as a base for this curry but if you do not have or want coconut just use 1 cup yogurt instead.
- Curry powder – when you buy curry powder do look at the spice factor. They come in Curry Powder – Hot,Curry Powder -Mild etc.
- Paprika – The purpose of paprika here is to add a nice smoky flavor but also add to the pretty color. I usually use either Sweet smoked paprika or Hot smoked paprika both work the same depending on how much heat you can take combined with your curry powder.
- Black Beans – these come in dry as well as canned – you can use either. I used the dried today but often I make a quick curry with the canned beans too.
If you use the dried beans. All you do is soak them in water for a couple hours or overnight. Then boil them for about 45 minutes in water for about 40 to 50 minutes on medium to low until they are soft and tender
I love to serve this with a nice bowl of steamed white rice. You could also just eat it with a nice crusty bread like I do sometimes.
Recipe – Quick and easy Black Beans Coconut Curry (Save/Pin for later)
- 2 cups / 1 can (15 oz) – Black Beans
- 2 tbsp oil (canola or grape seed)
- 1 med onion chopped fine
- 1 large garlic clove – grated
- 1/4 piece ginger – grated
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- And 1 tsp paprika (hot or sweet)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Have all ingredients ready – this gets done very quickly
- Heat oil in a saute pan
- Add in the garlic and ginger
- Followed by the onion and cilantro
- Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are nice and translucent
- Add in the spices and a little of the liquid from the beans.
- Cook spices for about another minute until nice and fragrant.
- Next, add the coconut cream and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans and lemon juice
- Check and adjust seasoning
- Cook for a minute or two more
- Serve with steamed white rice or crusty bread
Don’t forget to save this recipe on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
Quick and Easy Black Bean Coconut Curry
This black beans coconut curry is a healthy addition to any diet whether you use dried or canned beans and coconut. This simple, easy and effortless recipe makes for a meal in less than 15 mins. Black beans being high in protein, high in fiber and an excellent antioxidant for the body is a great addition to the family diet.
Ingredients - Choose (Metric or US Customary) below
- 2 cups Black Beans canned or cooked
- 2 tbsp Oil canola or grapeseed
- 1 Onion chopped fine
- 1 clove Garlic grated
- 1/4 inch Ginger grated
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 can Coconut cream
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Paprika hot or sweet
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
Have all ingredients ready - this gets done very quickly
Heat oil in a saute pan
Add the garlic and ginger
Followed by the onion and cilantro
Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are nice and translucent
Add the spices and a little of the liquid from the beans.
Cook spices for about another minute until nice and fragrant.
Next, add the coconut cream and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the black beans and lemon juice
Cook for a minute or two more.
Server with steamed white rice or crusty bread.