This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions share are my own.
You can view our full disclosure policy here.
Smurf Face Cake – Cake Decorating Tutorials
A smurf face cake can make a fun simple easy cake for a kids birthday. You do need any special skills or equipment to make this cake its’ so easy!! A step by step guide is here to help you.
I made this smurf face for a seven year old boy Doran for a friend’s friend. It’s all buttercream unlike my fondant cakes. It really is simple and easy to make as you can see in the progress pictures below.
- Cakes you will need – Two 8″ rounds + One 6″ round.
- Cake Flavor – I have used my Light and Fluffy vanilla cake but you can go with any of my cake recipes from this collection.
- Buttercream – I used my Velvet American Buttercream but you can use either the Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue too.
- Print a picture of a smurf from the internet that you can used as a guide.
- Torte the cakes in half and layered them all with buttercream.
- I used only three layers of the eight inch cake and one layer of the six inch cake for the face and the rest for the hat.
- I cut a big V right in the middle of the six inch cake and used that V for the head/cap.
- I cut another circle from the spare 8 inch layer with a cookie cutter and placed that on the cap and trimmed it further.
- Carve the face and hat so create a dome shape.
- Crumb coat and chill for 15 minutes
- Then add one more coat of blue buttercream for the face and white for the hat.
- Smooth as much as you can then chill for a few hours in the fridge until the buttercream is really firm
- Once firm – use a cling warp plastic to help smooth the chilled buttercream as much as you can.
- Once the buttercream has been smooth as much as you can start adding details –
- I used fondant for the eyes and ears.
- I used the same template as guide
- To make the eyes – cut a large white disc then a small black disc for the eyes.
- For the ears use fondant and shape it. Make a tear drop then fan the bottom of the tear drop.
- For the nose I used a large sausage of blue then cut that in half and used it.
- The mouth is a small black fondant cut out.
A few tips
- As you can see it’s really simple and easy to make this cake. But cooling time is important so take a break and let the cake rest in between coats.
- If you going to make it in buttercream; make sure to get the color right.
- Also make sure the buttercream and fondant colors match so the face – nose and ears are almost similar in color.
I do hope you found this tutorials fun and useful. If you do make it feel free to share it with me on my Facebook Page