Sitting Dog Cake for my Aadi’s 11th Birthday Celebration
I made this sitting dog cake for my Aadi’s birthday in May. An animal cake is a great cake to give anyone who loves animals, no matter what the age or gender. So next time, you have to give someone a gift and don’t know what to make. Perhaps their favorite animal cake would be a great place to start.
My son’s birthday is in May and while technically he should be getting one birthday cake he ends up getting at least two and this year three. Well, he had the rainbow drip cake which I shared with you earlier last month on his birthday. Then he had this dog cake when he celebrated his birthday in school with this classmate. And of course, he also had a standing emoji cake which (tutorial) I shared with you earlier this month.
Why? well, the whole year round with me making all those cakes. Almost every cake my kids will say – “mama, I want this cake for my birthday too”. Of course, as the year goes by they have a long list of cakes they liked and want to their birthday. I try my best to do justice to them and give them what they want but it never happens on one cake. NEVER!! Every year, they end up with two or three elaborate cakes for the different celebrations of their birthday.
Sitting or standing cake.
One of my big issues with the kid’s cakes in our home is that they take forever to decide on the details of the cake. For this one, he printed a few dog pictures and then kept going back and forth as to whether he wanted the dog sitting or standing. Of course, I personally wanted to make a sitting dog cake because I wasn’t very confident about making the dog standing on his fours.
So I promised Aadi I’d make him a sitting dog cake but I’d be happy to make his emoji a standing emoji. Worked out better for me cause I already had the structure for that cake ready.
Ah well! A little about the cake. In all honesty, I did start shooting the progress but with this cake, it did not work out. The kids were too excited and the camera always kept getting neglected. I really hope I can do this cake again so I can make a tutorial and show you how the process.
Well for now. I’ll give a little information on the cake.
- Cake – I baked three cakes of my chocolate cake perfect for carving recipe. You can change the number of servings to increase or decrease the quantity. I baked two six inch cakes, two seven inch cakes, and two 8-inch cakes for the bottom of the body.
- Frosting – I used my velvet American buttercream between the layers and my cake decorators chocolate ganache to frost the entire cake.
- For the head, I could use two six inch cakes but I chose to use a styrofoam ball instead because the summer weather in May here is really hot and humid. I did not want to take a chance.
- I use my marshmallow fondant recipe for this cake. I like the stretch of marshmallow fondant better for my novelty cakes.
- The cake was made in white fondant and then airbrushed. An airbrush is perfect for novelty cakes.
Here you can see the three cake stacked, slightly off centered so I can carve the share accordingly.
This cake was so much fun to make I hope you like it too.
Cake Decorating Tutorials
Are you new to cake decorating? Do you love cake decorating?
Click here to see some of my Index of all cake tutorials from basic to advance.