Make wired sugar petals without a grooved board shows you an easy way to make wired sugar flowers without a cell-board. That what this tip Thursday is about today.
Click here to Pin this Tip Thursday on Pinterst.
I know most of us who are beginners do not have the grooved board or the Cell-board to make these wired petals.
Recently I shared my video tutorial on how to make my Gum Paste Peonies and gum paste roses. And many of you came back regretting you can't make these because of the lack of tools.
What is a grooved board / cell-board?
These grooved boards have a little ridge in them so when you roll the paste it create this ridge you can use to insert your wires in.
It is very handy when making lots and lots of petals. Simplifies the work load.
Do you know that there are many sugar flower experts that do not actually use these ridge boards at all? Yup! That's by choice. As an example - Alan Dunn is one of my idols whose Craftsy Classes I love and in most if not all the video he does not depend on any tools. He even softens the petals on the palms of his hands rather than the foam pad.
So do not feel that you have to have these boards in order to make your sugar flowers.
It's always nice to have the right tools. They make life easy, but we must not let the lack of tools stop us from making some things.
- If you do not have a foam pad you can use a piece of sponge! Just make sure it is clean and not used for anything other than your flowers. As I mentioned above you can also use the palm of your hands unless you have sweaty hands.
- If you do not have the ball tool you can use the back of your small rolling pin! or even the back of a smooth spoon.
- Do you know you can use non toxic chalk instead of petal dust to color your flowers? Why?
Because the presence of the wires in your flowers already makes these flowers non edible. So if no one will eat the flower the chalk is OK. All you do is powder the chalk into a container and use like petal dust.
Having said that I personally have never used chalk for my flowers - only petal dust but this is something I learned on Cake Central when I just started into cake decorating.
So onto today's Tip Thursday!
How to make wired sugar petals without a grooved board
Here's how - simple and easy it is .
- Roll your gum paste nice and thin. Place the wire in the center.
- Fold the paste over as shown below in the collage
- Then roll some more - but roll around the wire, not over the wire. So you have a little thicker center line but still a nice thin petal.
- Now cut the petal using your cutter. Place the cutter making sure the wire is in the center.
- Now continue to vain and thin your petals just as recommended in your tutorial.
I made these flowers for a couple of cake.
I do hope you find this tutorial easy and helpful.
Here is today's Tip Thursday - Click here to Pin this and more such Pins on Pinterst
If you planning to learn sugar flowers
then it's worth spending and learning from the elite in the sugar industry. I have shared some of the sugar flower tutorials that I like in this post - The best online classes.
Make the David Austin Rose with me in this tutorial - How to make the Cabbage / David Austin Rose.
Veena saves the day! Thank you.
Aww thank you Maria. Happy to hear you day that.