How to make Christmas Ornament Cupcakes – These make perfect little treats.
Christmas Ornament cupcakes are probably the easiest, simplest and quickest to make. Yes, quickest. They make perfect holiday gifts or treats for family and friends. Here is a simple step by step to get you excited.
What says Christmas to you? I our home it’s the Christmas Ornaments!! My home is filled with Christmas Ornaments. My kids love Christmas Ornaments ! I love them too!. I have a little bowl filled with these on the side table which gets picked up and played with a lot.
So yeah I live in Bauble land some times. Yup! I love to call them Baubles and grew up calling them Christmas Baubles.
Often I try to incorporate some form of Christmas Ornaments in my cakes too!! This year again I made some Christmas Ornament Cupcakes as give away for the kids teachers, escorts, husbands colleagues.
I thought I’d share with you a few progress pictures of the Christmas Ornament Cupcakes – just to show you how easy they are to make.
Don’t forget to save this tutorial on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest
So How to make Christmas Ornament Cupcakes
Bake your favorite cupcakes.
- This time I made three different types of cupcakes.
My Vanilla Creme Cupcakes with American Buttercream, Coffee Caramel Cupcakes with coffee Buttercream, Milk Chocolate Cupcakes with Irish Coffee Buttercream.
I have many cupcakes and frosting recipes on this blog and almost all would work
- Next you going to frost them into a dome shape.
- I find using an ice-cream scoop works great for this. Just place a dollop of Buttercream with the ice-cream scoop then use a spatula to smooth the edges.
- Place them in the fridge to chill.
- I use a plastic / cling wrap on the top to get a smooth surface.
- Next Roll some colored fondant drape them with Sugar paste.
- I use a round cutter about two sizes bigger than my cupcake to cut out the circle.
- You can also use a textured rolling pin or a texture mat to make the simplest Christmas Ornament Cupcakes
- Use you hands to smooth the top gently.
- Next – This is optional but not necessary. Brush the top of your cupcakes with some dry or wet luster dust. Here I am using some Pink luster dust with vodka.
Note : Again it’s optional not necessary. Please keep in mind that some edible dusts are non toxic but still not considered edible.
- I brushed the first 12 with luster dust but not the next twelve.
- These are with edible luster dust and vodka.
- And smoothed with the palm of my hands.
Here you can see I have some Pretty plain and textured ones
Time to decorate the Christmas Ornament Cupcakes
The possibilities are endless. Use what ever you can find in your cake decorating box. Molds, cookie cutters, piping tips, stencils, edible colors to paint,Here I am using these scroll molds and some Bas Relief molds I have. As well as my Snow Flake Cutters.
I personally like to use golden yellow as a base for things that will be painted Gold and Off white or grey for things that will be painted with Silver.
And I am using the edible gold metallic from Magic Colors. The gold effect is a little less but since these are cupcakes I wanna make sure I use the FDA approved edible gold and silver.
Christmas Ornament Cupcake – Head and String
- You can add the Bauble Heads before or after depending on the design you choose.
- Use a round piping tip or just mold freehand.
- Chocolate Resis cups are also great for this.
- For freehand molding – Make a ball – flatten it.
Attach with a drop of water and poke it with the back of your paint brush to give the center indent. The string is just a thin sausage. Then paint gold or silver.
Here you see they are decorated and painted first.
Here I choose to have fun with my edible gold and silver paints.
Top dry with a make up brush. Bottom wet with a pain brush.
and Voila – you have some pretty Christmas Ornament Cupcakes
Are you looking for more Christmas Inspired Cake Tutorials or Recipes?
You can find more of my Christmas recipes and tutorials here