Hobbit inspired Bird House Cake - 10th Birthday Cake
A Bird House Cake is a great gift for kids who love something a little different and more than just castles and towers. This was inspired by the little Hobbit homes with an earthy rustic feel.
Cake consultations always amaze me. Often you get the customer that comes in with one cake in mind but goes out with a complete different order. I really loved making this one. It's been a while since I made a Castle Cake and when the birthday girls mother called saying her daughter may want a Castle Cake (then she muttered - oh this won't be easy - getting m daughter to agree is not easy) I was so looking forward to making a Castle Cake.
When I met Rivka the birthday girl, she really wanted a spooky castle cake - Dark and Gothic. But the mother was like - NO!! If you make a castle cake it will be Pink and Pretty.. So you can see we had a big conflict.
Then we had to consider budget. The Castle cake of choice was three tiers but we had a guest lists of only 15 people and budge for 10 people.
Securing the order (Bird House Cake)
Often at a time like this you have to find that happy balance. So I made a few suggestions.
- First, I told the mother instead of a castle we may need to consider the option of a house cake. That brings our cake down from three tiers to one.
- When we reduce cake we reduce price so she was happy with that.
- Then I told Rivka since she did not want Pretty and Pink and her mother did not want Dark and Gothic perhaps she should consider a house that's more driven by nature.... I showed her some pictures of mushrooms house and bird houses. Suddenly both of them were so fascinated with the idea that even if I offered to make them a Castle for less they'd rather choose a bird house cake.
In fact the mother said -- Oh Veena, why didn't we think of this before - this is such a cool and awesome idea...
So you see often customers come with one idea in their mind and then it's up to us to help them make choices. I think this is going to be a very pleasant memory for both of them.
[bctt tweet="Pretty Cake -Bird House inspired by Hobbit Homes" username="veenaazmanov"]
The cake details
As you can see the cake has some really pretty details on it. It's all made with Dark Modeling Chocolate. We have some stones, some moss, doors etc.
How I made this - Hobbit Inspired Bird house Cake
- The cake itself is a ball cake made using a 6" ball pan. If you've seen my video for a pumpkin cake -I made that into a ball first before I scored the pumpkin lines. So check that video for How to make a Pumpkin cake.
- I then topped the ball cake into a cone like shape using Dark Modeling Chocolate.
- Next I wrapped the cake with modeling chocolate just like I would wrap with fondant. So I rolled a long and broad strip of modeling chocolate and then wrapped it around. Chocolate smoothese our seems well so you don't have to be perfect - just rub your finger on those seems and they disappear like magic.
- Next I added details like a
- black fondant circle for inside the door.
- the door is again modeling chocolate - just a large disc cut into half
- I marbled some left over fondant and created stones
- Shaped a mushroom for the chimney
- Used green fondant and gel color for the moss.
- Florist wires for the tree.
- Stone impression maton fondant for the door mat
The Cake Flavors on this Birdhouse Cake
The Cake inside is a Coconut Cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream . You can use any of my cake recipes or frosting recipes from this blog for the cake. And of course you can use my homemade fondant recipes instead of Modeling Chocolate
Well, that's how I made this Hobbit Inspired Birdhouse Cake. I hope you found my explanation useful. Let me know what you think or feel free to ask any questions in the comments below, I'm always happy to answer them.