Handbag Cake Tutorial for Beginners
A handbag cake can make a great gift for a lady big or small weather it’s a birthday, mothers day or just an anniversary celebration. Change the shape or the pattern and you have a very different bag every single time. This handbag cake tutorial is simple, easy and detailed and you don’t need to be a professional cake decorator to achieve it.
Last week I made this cute handbag cake. Very simple, very easy and very fancy.
Have you ever found a woman who had enough hand bags / Purses… Especially 21 year old?
This was for a 21 year old whose favorite colors are brown and golden yellow.
Handbag Cake Tutorial
- This is my Double Chocolate Chocolate Cake – it’s an 8″ round about 3 inches high.
- Layered it with Velvet Vanilla Buttercream
- Cut a very small strip from the bottom to help make it stand.
- Next, I rolled my homemade Chocolate fondant
- Cut out two disc about 9″ round (the cake is 8 inch round)
- Place the disc in on a parchment paper and into the fridge for 5 minutes.
- This will make the fondant firm so you can handle it better.
- Placed them on the sides of the cake then cut off any excess.
Pattern / Design
- I then used a skewer to mark such lines
you could emboss the fondant before you cut out the disc too.. Or just leave it plain and add stripes or patterns… the design options are endless.
- For the top – I rolled a long strip of golden yellow, measured it to the right width (about 4″ here)
- You can place it in the fridge if it’s too delicate to handle or just placed it on and cut excess.
- A strip of brown chocolate fondant with a stitch tool will give you a zipper. Roll a small ball of brown and flatten it into a tear drop for the end to look like a zipper loop.
- I made thin golden yellow string for the pattern on the side of the cake and the edges of the zipper.
- And brown strings slighter thicker for the edges of the bag.
- Use two 18 g florist wires taped together. Or ask a DIY shop for some thin flexible water pipes
- Cut them to the length you need for the handle.
- Roll a ball of 50/50 (gum paste /fondant).
- For the wire – thread it on the center of the wire then start rolling until you reach the two ends.
- For the water pipe roll a long strip of paste then wrap it round the pipe with water to attach.
- Use drinking straws in the cake before you place the wires. That way the wires won’t touch the cake.
- Always inform customers when you have an non edible item into their food, so they can monitor the removal of these things before serving the cake.
- And that’s the almost done bag. I then added some small flowers to the sides of the cake and painted the zipper with gold luster dust to finish.
This is a very simple bag. Now a days with the amount of different looks and patterns there is endless to choose from…
Save this tutorial for later. You can find a collection of my recipes and tutorials here on Pinterest
Are you new to cake decorating? Learn Cake Decorating from basic to advance on your own pace. Click here for my Tutorial Index to see a list of tutorials