How to make a Halloween Pumpkin Cupcake Topper
The most common; simple and easy cupcake topper that everyone loves during Halloween is a sweet Pumpkin Cupcake Topper on top of your favorite cupcakes. If you love the flavor of pumpkin spice and color of pumpkin this one is ideal for you.
I made these for a birthday girl recently. She loves Halloween so her request was to make Halloween cupcakes with her friends. So of course, I chose to make the ones that kids would love the most… Witch’s Hat, Broom, Boots, Cauldron, Pumpkins, Skull and Bones, ghost. The kids really loved it.
They wanted to take part in the cupcake making so they were given the opportunity to add their own frosting. I showed them how to add a dollop of frosting and then smooth it with a spatula. I think they really enjoyed it. They made some with just simple swirls and sprinkles. The mom had got some really cute Halloween hats and cups as give away for the kids.
The dad when one step ahead and created a spooky atmosphere. Unfortunately, she didn’t want me to share any of the party pictures on my blog. I totally appreciate that. I have kids too!
We kept to some simple fall inspired cupcake recipes which I have shared before with you. Some Apple blueberry cupcakes, some were scrumptious brown sugar cupcakes and some like these are my Pumpkin Spice Apple Cupcakes. The recipe card is below for your convenience.
Don’t forget to save this tutorial on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest
Halloween Pumpkin Cupcake Topper
My youtube channel – Halloween Cupcake Videos Playlist
Recipe – Pumpkin Spice Apple Cupcakes
Pumpkin Spice Apple Cupcakes with SMBC and CaramelPrint Pin Rate
- Stand Mixer
- Kitchen Scale
For the cupcakes
For the Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 3 Egg whites large
- 100 grams Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 330 grams Butter unsalted
For the Caramel Sauce
- 200 grams sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 60 grams Butter unsalted
- 60 ml Whipping Cream 38%
Conversions - Switch between Metric & US for other measurement options
- Preheat oven to 160 C / 320 F.
- Place baking cups or cupcake liners in a muffin tray.
- Chop the apple and add 1 tbsp lemon juice to prevent oxidizing.
- Add 2 tsp flour to the apples and set aside.
- Sift the flour with baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk together the eggs and brown sugar – until sugar is almost melted.
- Add in the oil, sour cream or buttermilk and vanilla - mix well
- Next goes in the flour – combine well
- Lastly, add the apples – fold them in but do not over mix
- Scoop the batter equally into 12 cupcake liners or 8 to 10 baking cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool completely before you decorate.
PREPARE SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
- Combine egg whites, sugar and salt in a mixer bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Whisk constantly until the mixture is warm and all the sugar has dissolved.
- Attach the bowl to the mixer and start whipping increasing speed from low to medium-high until you have stiff peaks.
- Continue whipping on low until the mixture is completely cool.
- With the mixer on low speed add room temperature butter (chopped into cubeone at a time until all the butter has been incorporated.
- Finally whip on high for 2 to 3 minutes. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Set aside (or in the fridge until ready to use).
- Add sugar, salt and water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Continue to heat until the sugar dissolves and starts to caramelize.
- Keep the heat on low and shake the pan as you go. Do not stir.
- Once the sugar has reached a nice amber color (350 F) stir in the butter followed by the cream. (watch for steam as the mixture will bubble).
- Remove from heat, pour into a clean mason jar and let cool until ready to use.
DECORATE THE CUPCAKES
- Make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting or the frosting will melt.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with your desired piping nozzle – I’ve used Wilton round tip 12 (large round tip).
- Pipe a swirl on top of the cupcakes.
- Warm the caramel in the microwave for 10 seconds so it’s easy to drizzle.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the caramel over the cupcakes.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Sometimes a similar recipe video may be used. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
More Cupcake Toppers
Don’t Forget to check out the rest of the Halloween Inspired Cupcake Toppers. You can find them here under Cupcake Decorating Tutorials
Or you can check my Tutorial Index to see a list of all available tutorials at a glance on this blog