Gum Paste Calla Lilies
Today for my Tip Thursday on Facebook I shared a collage of how to make these Calla Lilies.
I do hope that I will be able to make a video and show you how I dusted these as well. But that will have to be for another day. For now I have a little pictorial on how I made these.
You will need for the Gum Paste Calla Lilies
- Gum paste, cornstarch, veg shortening.
- Edible Glue + brush.
- 20 g green wire and florist tape + Needle nose pliers
- Ball tool + Foam pad to thin the petals.
- Calla Lily cutter + vainers
- Drying rack or substitute.
- Petal Dust – yellow, green and other colors of you choice
You can find – how to make gumpaste
You can find – [simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B003GET0EY” locale=”us” height=”110″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ds9xbtWOL._SL110_.jpg” width=”93″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B00IORK740″ locale=”us” height=”92″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LP3oS1NDL._SL110_.jpg” width=”110″] [simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B00ATDPNL4″ locale=”us” height=”82″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cF7oyp2SL._SL110_.jpg” width=”110″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B00FAMP0P8″ locale=”us” height=”110″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413A2HixDsL._SL110_.jpg” width=”68″]
- Start by coloring some gum paste with yellow gel color for the centers
- Cut a 20 g wire into three.
- Make a U hook at the end of the wire by twisting it once towards you then again towards the wire. ( weather you make a U hook or a plain hook won’t matter much, because the flower is not really heavy but do make a hook so the paste has something to hold on to.
- Roll the gum paste into a smooth ball. The center needs to be about 3/4 length of the petal so the size of the ball will vary depending on the size of the petal. here I have about a size ten on the size guide.
- Roll into a sausage then tapper towards one end as shown.
- Insert the wire and pinch the base to ensure the wire is secured.
- Optional – Apply a light coat of glue to the entire center and dust with yellow non-perils or yellow petal dust or yellow colored polenta .
Note: I personally do not coat my centers in any of the above. I later dry dust them with petal dust because I do not like the non perils or polenta or excess dust falling over the cake and such so.. I just leave it.
- Let the center dry completely over night before you proceed with the petals.
- For the petals you can use the color of gum paste that suits your project. Most people make it in white. Here I have marbled some rose pink and white.
- Roll your paste not too thin. Calla lilies are a fleshy flower so not very thin.
- Cut the petal our with your petal cutter. If you do not have a Calla petal cutter – you can use a Heart shaped cutter as well.
- Vein the petal with a Calla petal vainer or all purpose vainer works too.
- Thin the edges with the ball tool but do not frill the edges.
- Usually you would make a cone of the petal – attach the two edges and let dry over a cone former, but with that I have to find all the cones.. So, I do it differently.
- Add some glue to the center of the petal.
- place the dried center on the petal.
- Next gently fold the left side of the petal over the center – secure with more glue if necessary.
- Then fold the right side of the petal over left as shown below.
- Pinch the bottom neatly so you have a nice neat seam.
- Gently curl the edges to give it a nice open flower shape as shown below.
- Let dry on a drying rack.
- Now I did not take pictures of the dusting of these flowers. bu I will update this post later. may be with a few more pictures or a video.
- To dust the petals – I dust the center of the petal as well as the yellow center with more yellow petal dust. and the top tips of the petal with some green.
White Callas – If you are going to leave the calla lilies white.. just dust them lightly with a little pearl dust, this bring them to life.
Other color Callas – Here I have colored the Rose pink ones with a light dusting of Rose pink, lavender and pearl.
- Once you have dusted the flowers you may choose to steam them. This sets the colors and gives them a lovely sheen too.
I do hope you found this post useful.
Here is my Tip Thursday for today that you can find on Facebook – share it or save it on your profile for future use.
[simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B003GET0EY” locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ds9xbtWOL._SL160_.jpg” width=”135″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B00AQPKUQI” locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31oVt8ZHJQL._SL160_.jpg” width=”160″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B004S85ADM” locale=”us” height=”139″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518CXPTtC-L._SL160_.jpg” width=”160″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B00ATDPNL4″ locale=”us” height=”120″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cF7oyp2SL._SL160_.jpg” width=”160″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B00DFNXHOU” locale=”us” height=”120″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wugKMbDnL._SL160_.jpg” width=”160″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B00FAMP0P8″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413A2HixDsL._SL160_.jpg” width=”99″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”1849493731″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PEhSgAbiL._SL160_.jpg” width=”137″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”1780092555″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hSkVEbHxL._SL160_.jpg” width=”145″][simpleazon-image align=”none” asin=”B0092G17D2″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NQ2vo5rsL._SL160_.jpg” width=”115″]