Give your cupcakes a girly twist with these hat cupcake toppers. Whether you are 5 or 50, these are bound to make your smile. Made with fondant and a little bit of love these cupcake toppers are fun to make.
I recently made these for a little girl. And, while cupcakes were gone in a flash, the girls held on to their little hats for a long, long time. Too pretty to eat, these are definitely a great way to add a little more to your cupcakes.
In fact, if you make them all-white these would also make amazing wedding cake favors.
Table of Content
About these cupcakes
- For my cupcakes, I made three variety - one bowl vanilla, one-bowl chocolate, and chocolate cupcakes
- For my frosting, I used vanilla buttercream frosting and chocolate buttercream frosting.
- I made marshmallow fondant and used some of my leftover homemade fondant as well.
Things you will need
- Fondant Rolling Pin
- Basketweave rolling pin or impression mat
- Sugar paste / Fondant – various colors
- Dusting pouch
- 3 ½ inch Round fluted cutter
- 2 ½ inch Round Fluted cutter
- ½ tsp. & 1 tbsp. measuring spoon
- Mini flower cutters – Daisy or Blossoms
- No 3 piping tip
Prepare cupcake base
- Roll out your sugar paste and cut the base circles for your cupcake toppers.
- Cut out the number of circles needed for your cupcakes.
- Here I am showing black but you do many different colors.
- You can use a 3 or 3 ½ inch fluted or plain cutter.
Prepare the hat domes
- Take a ½ teaspoon measuring spoon – apply some veg shortening to the inside.
- Then, roll a ball of sugar paste, which can be the color of your hat or the color of your base disc.
- Next, fill the spoon with the sugar paste. Smooth so you have a flat surface on the top.
- Invert on to your work surface. The shortening should help pop the dome right now.
- Cupcake bases and domes ready.
1. The orange straw hat
- Roll orange sugar paste. Use the basketweave texture rolling pin or mat to make the impression.
- Use the 2 ½ round fluted or plain cutter to cut a circle.
- Dampen the hat dome.
- Place the hat circle on the dome. Ensure you center it.
- Use a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to cup the dome lightly.
- This helps to form the dome without taking away the impression.
- Use the back of your paintbrush or cell pin to create some waves around the edges giving your hat the natural bounce.
- Then, cut strips of orange and form a band as shown. Cut excess and use it to make a bow.
- To make the feather, roll a teardrop, flatten and make cuts as shown. Place on the hat above the bow.
- To make a mini rose – just flatten a strip of sugar paste and roll it onto itself.
- Then, put the pieces in place and place the hat on its base. Your first hat is ready.
2. Green flower hat
- Roll some green and some red sugar paste.
- Using the mini blossom cutter, cut out some red fondant blossoms.
- Place the blossom on the green fondant.
- Roll the blossom such that they blend with the sugar green.
- Texture with a rolling pin or mat. Cut out the hat circle.
- Next, dampen the hat dome. Place the hat fondant circle on top.
- Center it.
- Then, place the spoon over and gently cup.
- Use the back of your paintbrush, cell pin to create waves on the brim.
- Roll a sausage of white sugar paste to make the band. Cut off the excess white band.
- Attach white daisy or blossom with the medium flower cutter.
- Attach a black daisy in the center of the large daisy.
- Add a silver degree.
- Place on the black cupcake base.
3. Rose pink spring hat
- Roll Pink sugar paste. Texture as desired.
- Cut out hat circle. Dampen hat dome.
- Place hat circle on the hat dome. Use a spoon to cup gently.
- Use cell stick to form frilly brim.
- Place on the cupcake base.
- Add flowers as desired.
- Here, I added the white daisies first, distributing evenly.
- Next, I added the orange medium blossoms.
4. White and pink polka dots
- Roll White and red sugar paste.
- Using a no 3 nozzle cut out the red.
- Place on the white just in the center so they are all centered on the dome not the hat’s brim.
- Roll such that the red blends with the white.
- Cut our the hat circle.
- Use a frill tool to create a frilly brim.
- Add a pink band.
- Add a daisy or a flower.
- Place on the cupcake base. Here, I am using pink instead of black.
5. Red and black spiral hat
- Roll red sugar paste. Rolls a thin black sausage.
- Place black sausage on the red in a spiral. Rollover with a rolling pin. You can texture if you wish.
- Cut out the hat circle.
- Place on hat dome, use the spoon to cup as shown above.
- Make flower and feather as shown in the orange straw hat above.
6. Back straw hat with pink bow
- Roll out black sugar paste. Texture as desired.
- Place on hat dome and cup to form the hat.
- Use cell stick to from frilly brim
- Add band and bow as shown in orange straw hat.
- Place on cupcake base.