Fondant Covered Apple Cakes (Video tutorial)
These cute fondant apple mini cakes make perfect gift cakes to give during the holidays season and especially perfect for Rosh Hashanah aka Jewish New-year. They don't take long to make and are super simple and easy. Try them in green or red and gift them with a small jar of honey to celebrate the new year.
It's that time again when I make something small and something sweet to give as gifts. This year for Ros Hashana which is the Jewish New Year I made this cute Fondant Apple Mini Cakes and of course some more of my cute apple cupcakes. Those I make almost every year.
Well, I wanted to make some green ones too but the kids wanted the red ones only. Some of these are airbrushed and some are covered in red fondant.
If you want to keep them simple the easiest is to buy pre-colored red fondant and cover these all at ones. Airbrushing helps to give the cakes more character and play with colors.
I wanted to airbrush and see how I do with them. I liked how they turned out, wish I had a little more of the yellow and green showing thru. The problem with the dark colors such as red is that they do not let the other colors show thru. Next time I must make some green ones too - just for fun.
For the Fondant mini cakes (Save/Pin)
- Recipe - today I have used my quick one-bowl vanilla cupcake recipe. You can also use my one-bowl chocolate cupcake recipe. Either will work.
- Instead of putting the batter in a cupcake pan I use a dome pan.
The dome pan - I used a silicon dome pans-
These silicon pans work great and take away any need for carving really. And because they are silicon they tend to have many uses other than baking too.
- Filling - for the filling between layers I used my quick five-minute vanilla buttercream frosting. You can also use my chocolate buttercream frosting recipe.
- Frosting - I need something that will firm up under fondant so I have more working time. So my cake decorators ganache works perfectly for this recipe. You can use the regular dark cake decorator chocolate ganache or cake decorators white chocolate ganache. Both will work just as well.
- Fondant - Today I am using my homemade fondant from scratch recipe but commercial fondant will work just as well if that is easier to find.
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST FOR LATER. TRIED MY RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH ME, PLEASE.
Share a picture of your work with me by uploading an image here below my image on this board. You can also find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest
Conversions - Switch between Metric & US for other measurement options
- Bake the cupcakes in a mini dome-shaped pan instead of a cupcake pan using the recipe and video linked above.
- When baked cool completely
- Level the cakes and sandwich them with a buttercream - chill for 15 minutes
- Frost the outside with white chocolate ganache -smooth well. Chill them for 15 minutes again.
- Spray the outside of the ball with water
- Roll a 6-inch fondant disc on a lightly dusted work surface
- Cover the cakes with fondant as shown in the video. Cut off excess. Pick the ball in your and to smooth the bottom and sides.
- Using a ball tool, make an indent in the top and lines to simulate an apple.
- If you use white fondant you can airbrush the apples as I have shown in the video
- Or you can use red or green fondant for a quick and easy fondant apple
- Use brown fondant to make a stalk and green fondant for the leaves as shown in the video. For a quick and easy stalk use the spice cloves instead.
You may also like
- Best Ever Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
- Butterscotch Cupcakes with Butterscotch Buttercream
- Pink Champagne Cupcakes with Champagne Buttercream
- Carrot Cupcakes with Easter Eggs
- Apple Blueberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Strawberry Cream Cupcakes
- Pink Cherry Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Buttercream
- Dulce De Leche Cupcakes with Dulce De leche buttercream
- Caramel Cupcakes with Soft Caramel Cupcakes
- Scrumptious Brown Sugar Cupcakes
- Gingerbread Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting