Dora the Explorer Cake
I recently made this lovely Dora The Explorer cake for a girls 3rd Birthday Celebration.
She loves Dora.. (my daughter too). I think she's fun.
The cake inside in my Devil's Food Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Butter cream and homemade sugar paste. I have a video on how to make Dora, but the cake is fairly simple and straight forward but I have a write up below on how I made the details just in case you have any questions.
The cake is an 8" round , two layers,
For those of you that would like more details.. Here's what I did.
- I made Dora a couple of days ahead of time.
- Baked, Level, tort, fill and crumb coat the cake. (have a videos showing how to)
- I coated the cake with more Butter cream and chilled it in the fridge.
- Next, I marbled blue, green and yellow fondant. But the marbling is done more in a circular direction as compared to vertical likes.
- Once I had rolled and covered the cake with fondant I then marbled some white and blue fondant and cut out a long strip for the water.
- I place it on the cake and surrounded it with stones. The stones again are marbled white and black fondant.
- Next I hand painted the grass on the sides of the cake. You could also pipe the grass with Royal Icing or Butter cream
- For the trees - I rolled logs of brown fondant. This was then split at one end to make branches.
- The leaves are cut freehand from green sugar paste. But you could use a Lilly or similar cutter.
- I spread a lot of blossoms in different colors and sizes all around the cake.
- I piped grass in shades of green.
- White Royal Icing for the water waves on the blue/white stream.
I made Dora's map by just rolling a piece of white fondant strip then adding the details. Supported with a spaghetti.
I have a video on how to make Dora. It's a slow version so if you choose you might be able to make her watching the video. She looks quite difficult but not really.
Watch the video below and you will see. Dora is also supported with skewers as you will see in the video below.
Dora the Explorer!!
I do hope you found the write up on the cake useful and I do hope you have fun making Dora.
You could use the same video if you were making just a girl sugar model. Just change the colors and she wont' look Dora; trust me..! have fun!!!