Buttercream Tulips Russian Piping Tips Mothers Day Cake
A buttercream cake made with the tulips Russian piping tips can be a quick and easy way to make a celebration cake whether you want to make a mothers day cake or last minute birthday cake. This simple, easy and effortless cake was made in a few hours from start to finish.
This cake was a last minute order for a mothers day cake! Yes, one of my regular customers called in a panic and said - Veena I forgot today is mothers day! I need a cake or something so I can gift my mom. I lost my dad last year and I don't want her to get depressed. Can you help?
Well, at a time like this there is nothing you can do but help. Now, this guys knows that I usually need minimum two weeks booking for my cakes orders but he still chose to call me because he knew if anyone can help at a time like this would be someone he regularly does business with. Right? Which is a great relationship to have with your customers but one that can derail all planning you ever made for the day? Know what I mean?
I'm a big believer in buttercream cakes that can be a lifesaver for times like this. I used a couple of easy recipes and a few of my Russian Piping tips and this cake was done in a few hours from start to finish.
Timeline for decorating a cake.
This cake totally defied all predictions I make in the post on the timeline for decorating a cake.
- You know my one bowl vanilla or chocolate cake Recipe? Well, that works great at times like this. You just keep measuring ingredients into one bowl, mix it up, bake it and voila you have a baked cake.
- I immediately wrapped the cake in the plastic/cling wrap and placed it in the freezer while I worked on my buttercream colors. An hour in the freezer does a great job of cooling the cake just enough so it can be decorated.
- Now, it is important to mention that normally you would not put a hot cake in the freezer if you want to store it for a longer period. It's best to cool the cake completely first, then wrap it up well before you place it in the freezer. However, since this cake is going to be cut today it was ok to do this quick freezing method.
- This is the 'star of the show' on this cake. If you plan to pipe buttercream flowers? this is the buttercream icing you need. Stiff and holds its shape. Also great with humidity. Not to mention taste absolutely delicious.
- While my cake was baking I made this buttercream recipe ready and set to go.
- While my cake was chilling in the freezer I colored and prepared my buttercream bags with the piping tips. Notice I have some two-tone buttercream colors too.
- These are basically by adding more than one color frosting in each bag.
You can use these tips on cupcakes too. I have shown you how I piped with these Russian Piping Tips in two videos so ar - these Buttercream Flowers with Russian Piping Tips here, as well when I shared the green cake here Russian Buttercream Flowers
Russing Piping Tips
These really are a huge success when it comes to making last minute buttercream flowers. If you have the right frosting this is as easy as piping bores. You have seen me a similar cake when I made my Floral buttercream cake with Russian Piping Tips. You can see the video on this screen too. It's as simple as squeeze and release. The longer you squeeze the bag the taller your tulips. However, remember this is buttercream so you need to keep them just so the buttercream will hold their shape.
These tips can now be found in plenty and at a much more affordable price then when I got them. Back then when these were out I paid a bomb!! Yup, expensive stuff. Now they are affordable and can be shipped from overseas to anywhere in the world.
Can you believe it once I had the buttercream in the piping bags and ready to go. The top of the cake took me about 20 minutes. The basket weave does take a tag longer but still very simple and easy.
Video 1 - How to make Flowers with Russian Tips
Video 2 - Buttercream Flowers with Russian Tips
Save this recipe on Pinterest for later.
You can find a collection of my tutorials and recipes here on Pinterest.
Love cake? Want more cake recipes?
Take a look at some of the most delicious cake recipes I have for you on this blog. All recipes are tried and tested. Whether you looking for a simple one bowl vanilla cake recipe, a fruit-flavored recipe for spring or luxurious recipe with decadent frostings. I'm sure you will find something you will love. Alternatively, take a look at my Recipe Index to see a list of all recipes on this blog.
Recommended Cakes and Tutorials for you......
- How to make a Princess Cake at home
- Sitting Dog Cake
- Two-Tone Onlay Cake Tutorial
- Rainbow Drip Cake Tutorial
- Petal Ruffles Cake Tutorial
- Copper Simpress Wedding Cake
- Enchanted Forest Tree Cake House
- Gumpaste Daisy Tutorial