Almond Linzer Cookies
Yield 24 Cookies
What can be more festive than handing out cookies. These Almond Linzer Cookies are rich, crisp and buttery filled with jam, chocolate, Nutella or dulce de leche.
For the short bread cookies
- Almond Meal - 115 grams (1 cup) (see note to use whole almonds)
- All Purpose Flour - 220 grams (2 cups)
- Cornflour - 30 grams ( 1/4 cup)
- Unsalted Butter - 228 grams (1 cup or 2 sticks)
- Sugar - 150 grams ( 3/4 cup)
- Confectioners Sugar - 30 grams / 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 1 whole Egg + one Egg yolk
- Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
For the Filling
- Seedless Jam - Strawberry, Raspberry, Blueberry
- Ganache - melt 100 grams (3.5 oz) chocolate with 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh cream. combine well, cool before using.
- Nutella - straight out of the jar
- Dulce de leche - use my homemade recipe or straight out of a jar.
- Swift or mix the baking powder and salt with the flour
- Combine the flour, cornflour and almond meal together.
- Cream butter, sugar and confectioners sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and egg yolk then the vanilla,
- Next add in the flour to the mix.
- The dough will be soft.
Divide Dough and chill
- Divide into two disc and wrap in cling / plastic wrap,
- Refrigerate for at least two hour or until cold enough to roll
- Work with one disc at a time while the second is chilling
Prepare for rolling
- Roll the first disc to about 1/8 inch in thickness on a lightly floured surface
- To make the bottom cookie
- Cut out the cookies using Linzer cookie cutter or a 3" round cookie cutter.
- Place them on a parchment lines baking tray and into the fridge to chill.
- Roll the second disc again the same thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- To make the top cookie
- Cut out the cookies using Linzer cooker cutter without the center or a 3" round cookie cutter
- Then cut the center out using a Linzer cookie cutter with center or a 1" cookie cutter in any shape you want.
- Make cookies with all the remaining dough making sure you have equal pair for the top and bottom of the cookie.
Bake the cookies
- I prefer to chill the cookie in the fridge while the oven is preheating
- Preheat the oven at 170 C / 340 F
- Bake the cookies on the center rack for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once baked cool on the cookie sheet for 10 mins then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
To assemble the cookies
- Once the cookies are cooled dust them with powder sugar.
- These cookies are delicate so handle carefully
- Place a teaspoon of jam (or Nutella) on the bottom cookie
- Spread it slightly (I like it to look thick in the middle)
- Place the top cookie on the bottom cookie.
- This dough can be halved or double without any issues.
- Store them in a cookie jar at room temperature for up to 5 or 6 days.
- To make them in batches you can refrigerate cookie dough for a week or
- Freeze the dough for up to one month then - thaw in the fridge over night before using.
Courses Breakfast, Brunch, High Tea
Recipe by Veena Azmanov at https://veenaazmanov.com/almond-linzer-cookies-recipe/