How to make a Vegetarian Mirror Glaze Recipe
Vegetarian Mirror glaze aka shiny cakes are the latest trend in the cake world. This pretty vegan mirror cakes are so impressive and yet so easy to master.
Video – how to make a Vegetarian Glaze
After the first mirror glaze recipe I posted; I had tons of people asking if I could share one with a vegetarian option!! So I had to go look for vegetarian gelatin.
It’s weird but I don’t get Agar Agar here. The last time I needed it I had to order it online. It’s not difficult to find but the shipping to me doesn’t’ make it worth it especially because here fish gelatin is the most commonly used gelatin.
What is Agar Agar?
Agar is made from cooked an pressed Algae. I believe it’s a kind of weed or plant. So you see it’s more natural.
What is Vegetarian gelatin ?
I asked the lady at the store – what gelatin made of and she said – it’s made of vegetable gum things like adipic acid, tapioca dextrin, calcium phosphate, and potassium nitrate. And it works the same way as normal gelatin. You soak it in water and let it absorb and then incorporate it as normal.
Vegetarian gelatin Vs Agar Agar
As I said in my video if you have to choose between the two please go with agar agar or vegetarian gelatin – I’d recommend going with the agar agar. I have used vegetarian gelatin for this recipe but I think next time I will work with agar agar instead. In the recipe below I will suggest the agar agar as usage as well.
What is a Mirror Glaze and what type of cake is best suited to use under a mirror glaze?
Well, I already discussed that in the previous post so I’ll skip that here – I suggest you view the previous post on my mirror glaze cake. And you can use that cake recipe too just replace the gelatin there with agar agar.
Well, mangoes are in season here so I chose to make a mango mousse cake with a mango jello insert. My kids are crazy about Mangoes so it’s mangoes in as many desserts as you can find. Mango mouse, mango tart, mango pudding – they love it.
How to make Vegetarian Mirror Glaze
For the glaze
1 tbsp vegetarian gelatin ( I used 1 1/2 but I think 1tbsp would be best) OR
1 tbsp Agar Agar
1/4 cup water + 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup Glucose
150 grams / 2/3 cup Sugar
100 grams / 4 oz or 1/2 cup Condensed Milk
150 grams or 5 oz – White Chocolate
Have all your ingredients ready so you do not leave out anything
Pour 1/4 cup into the vegetarian gelatin or agar agar – let bloom/ soak
The vegetarian gelatin soaks like normal gelatin but the agar agar just stays liquid.
!Heat the other ingredients
In a heavy based sauce pan – add glucose, sugar, condensed milk and remaining water
Let come to a boil on low to medium heat.
Once all the sugar has dissolved – and the mixture has come to a nice slow boil.
Take it off the heat –
Add the vegetarian gelatin or agar agar liquid
when that has almost dissolved add the white chocolate.
The heat in the mixture should be enough to melt the white chocolate – if not place on the low heat for a few seconds.
If you want strain the mixture to remove any undissolved gelatin or not melted chocolate.
Color glaze and let come to room temperature
Use glaze as shown in the mirror at room temperature.
Recipe for Vegetarian Mirror Glaze
- 1 tbsp vegetarian gelatin ( I used 1½ but I think 1tbsp would be best) OR
- 1 tbsp Agar Agar
- ¼ cup water + ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup Glucose
- 150 grams / ⅔ cup Sugar
- 100 grams / 4 oz or ½ cup Condensed Milk
- 150 grams or 5 oz - White Chocolate
- Have all your ingredients ready so you do not leave out anything
- Pour ¼ cup into the vegetarian gelatin or agar agar - let bloom/ soak
- The vegetarian gelatin soaks like normal gelatin but the agar agar just stays liquid.
- In a heavy based sauce pan - add glucose, sugar, condensed milk and remaining water
- Let come to a boil on low to medium heat.
- Once all the sugar has dissolved - and the mixture has come to a nice slow boil.
- Take it off the heat -
- Add the vegetarian gelatin or agar agar liquid
- when that has almost dissolved add the white chocolate.
- The heat in the mixture should be enough to melt the white chocolate - if not place on the low heat for a few seconds.
- If you want strain the mixture to remove any undissolved gelatin or not melted chocolate.
- Color glaze and let come to room temperature
- Use glaze as shown in the mirror at room temperature.
And that’s how I made my Vegetarian version of the Mirror Glaze.
Well, in the next few days I plan to show you how I made this mango mousse cake with the mango jello insert. It’s super easy and I hope you will try it.
You may also like
3K 12 22 303