How to avoid lopsided, wonky uneven baked cupcakes
One of the problems with cupcake baking can be lopsided wonky uneven baked cupcakes which can be very frustrating. Here are some tips to help trouble shoot.
Have you baked cupcakes only to take them out of the oven all lopsided, wonky or uneven baked cupcakes ? That’s usually how we call them isn’t is? lopsided / wonky or uneven baked cupcakes?. Well those are usually the words people use when they message me.
Now I don’t really have pictures of uneven baked cupcakes; just because it never occurred to me to take pictures. But trust me I’ve had my fair share of these when I just started baking cupcakes. Of course if you going to decorate them with buttercream or fondant then it’s not an issue right? No one knows under the frosting what really happened.
How to avoid uneven baked cupcakes ?
So; while this is a very frustrating issue most often the problem lies with the oven temperature not the recipe. The best way to learn from this is to experiment with the solutions below.
Some causes and solutions.
- Cupcakes rise too fast – High oven temperature – reduce temperature slightly.
- Cupcakes have cracks on the top – again means they are rising much too fast – oven is too high. Lower temperature slightly.
- Cupcakes baked faster (in 15 minutes as compared to the stated 20 minutes )–usually because the oven is too high. Reduce temperature.
- Cupcakes baked raised on one side – uneven heating – means your oven fan needs to be switched off or oven temperature lowered by 25%.
- Cupcakes baked raised on one side and cracked – Using fan assisted oven and the oven temperature is too high – cupcakes will bake faster and dry out.. Lower temperature significantly.
- All cakes are baking towards one side in your oven –oven tray or oven is not leveled.
- Fill cupcakes only 2/3 full so they have space to rise.
- Bake one cupcake tray at a time. If you have to bake two – have the oven fan on so it will distribute heat evenly but at a lower setting.
- It’s better to have a cupcake take longer to bake than to have a wonky lopsided cupcake. Right?
If you are already following me then you will be automatically updated when I upload new pins and tutorials.
Want your customers to enjoy cakes that taste as delicious as they look?
Check out my collections of VAOC Calculated Recipes.
Wondering how much batter you need?
Have no time to calculate your recipes?
Are you sure your recipe will work the same when doubled or tripled?
Don't know how to convert recipes?
Do you need a 4 inch tall cake?
or perhaps a 6" tall cake?
Round or Square cake?
Don't worry - I can help!!
My Tried and Tested recipes are already calculated for your convenience.
I have calculate 15 different size pans for you in each PDF - be it Round or Square & and yes both 4 or 6 inch tall cakes.
So now a single tier or double barrel baking is a piece of cake with my PDFs.
visit Calculate Recipe section Now !