Turkey Meatball Pasta
This is my son’s pasta dish. Meat balls. He loves meats in tomato sause with pasta or in an Indian Curry over rice. He loves meatballs!!
With him – if it’s pasta it has to be Meatballs and if it’s Pizza it’s got to be Margarita.
You can make it with beef, lamb or turkey.
I think any kid would love this turkey meatball pasta. It’s more healthy as well right?
I prefer Turkey more than beef or lamb especially for the kids.
Just a personal preference.
This is an absolutely delicious meatball recipe with turkey meat, very simple and easy for a week day meal. Perfect for my kids when they come home from school.
- 500 grams minced turkey
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 4 tbsp semolina (or 2 tbsp AP flour)
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese (grated)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 clove garlic (large)
- ½ med onion chopped fine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 5 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- ⅓ cup liquid - stock or water or milk
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh Basil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mince meat in a bowl.
- Add the semolina. garlic, Parmesan salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Do not over mix.
- Form small balls and set aside. Set aside.
- Place a pot of boiling water and cook the pasta as per directions while you prepare the sauce.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the garlic, dried herbs, and the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent add the Brown Sugar.
- Leave the brown sugar for about a minute to let it caramelize - The caramelized brown sugar enhances the color of the fresh tomatoes later.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and basil.
- Add a few tablespoons of water and cook on medium for about 10 minutes.
- Blend the sauce with a hand blender - I prefer a smooth sauce.
- Next add in the liquid to make the sauce- stock or water or milk. (I use stock)
- Bring the sauce to a boil and low the flame to medium low.
- Place the meat balls in the sauce very gently.
- Do not stir. Shake the pan a bit to help them sink in.
- Partially cover the pot and let cook on medium low for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes. The meat balls should have cooked and become firm.
- Taste the sauce for any seasoning if necessary.
- If necessary add more liquid or cook the sauce a bit longer until it reaches the right consistency
- Server with fresh hot pasta.