Quick Chicken Curry – just 6 ingredients
This chicken curry uses just 6 main ingredients and can be made in just 20 minutes; simple easy and quick. It is a perfect meal on it’s own over white rice.
What if I told you you could make a chicken curry in 20 minutes? I know !! Most people just assume making Indian food by default takes for ever. But !! trust me there are plenty of Indian food recipes that are quick, simple and quick too.
Doesn’t that look delicious ? and it took only about 20 minutes to make. I made rice at the same time too!
What is Curry powder?
This recipe uses curry powder which is very commonly found in almost all grocery stores. You don’t even have to go to an Indian grocery store to find Curry powder. Just have a look thru your supermarket spice rack and you are bound to find one.
The most common ingredients found in curry powder are Coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, cardamon, black pepper, chilly powder, paprika.
The thing about curry powder today is that since there are so many different brands in the market each one has their own recipe to making this mix of spices. Some add more or less some ingredient and that can make a huge difference. For example extra cardamon and cumin can make the curry powder very hot – not spicy but very hot. Not everybody can handle that.
So my humble advice to you when choosing curry powder is – if you don’t like one brand; try a different brand but don’t give up on making chicken curry. Because most often its’ not that you don’t like curry powder but rather that brand of curry powder.
Spicy or non-spicy curry powder
Oh you do get curry powderthat have various different degrees of heat and spice. Some that are mild, spicy and hot. Usually it refers to the amount of chilly added in – watch for that. Buy something you can handle. A little tip – if you ever add a bit extra curry powder and it turns spicy- add a cup of chopped and boiled potato. That usually help absorb some of the heat.
So shall I give you my recipe for
For the Chicken Curry
800 grams boneless chicken thighs or breast (I usually prefer thighs)
1/2 cup chopped Onion
1 tbsp grated ginger
plus 1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp curry powder – ( mild or spicy up to you)
1/2 cup yogurt
!Optional which I didn’t count as an ingredient
2 tbsp Canola Oil
for freshness – 1/2 cup chopped cilantro. (optional but really makes a difference)
And of course salt and pepper.
Clean and cut chicken into bite size pieces
Add oil to the pan – saute onion, ginger and garlic. about a minute.
Next add curry powder and a few tbsp of water so the spices won’t burn.
Cook the spices for about 30 seconds – you will get a nice aroma of the spices as they cook.
add chicken and sear for another minutes.
followed by yogurt and coriander if using.
/4 cup water goes in next
Let come to a boil – cover the pan – let simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes
After 10 minute check if chicken is done. Add water if you prefer more gravy.
Let come to a boil again.
Once chicken is cooked and you have the gravy you need – remove from heat.
I love to have this over white rice or chapati
Quick Chicken Curry with just 6 ingredients?
Guess what I made it even easier so I now have a video for you too! Yes!!
- 800 grams boneless chicken thighs or breast (I usually prefer thighs)
- ½ cup chopped Onion
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- plus 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp curry powder - ( mild or spicy up to you)
- ½ cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- for freshness - ½ cup chopped cilantro. (optional but really makes a difference)
- And of course salt and pepper.
- Clean and cut chicken into bite size pieces
- Add oil to the pan - saute onion, ginger and garlic. about a minute.
- Next add curry powder and a few tbsp of water so the spices won't burn.
- Cook the spices for about 30 seconds - you will get a nice aroma of the spices as they cook.
- add chicken and sear for another minutes.
- followed by yogurt and coriander if using.
- /4 cup water goes in next
- Let come to a boil - cover the pan - let simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes
- After 10 minute check if chicken is done. Add water if you prefer more gravy.
- Let come to a boil again.
- Once chicken is cooked and you have the gravy you need - remove from heat.
- I love to have this over white rice or chapati.
Video – Quick Chicken Curry with just 6 ingredients
And Voila !! Your Chicken Curry is ready in just 20 minutes.
More such recipes