Number Cakes One, Two or Twelve and Six too!
Number cakes aren’t something we make often so buying a pan for one use becomes rather a waste here’s how to make an easy number cakes one two or twelve.
Click here to Pin this Tutorial on Pinterest
If you’ve been following my blog by now you probably already know how I feel about buying special pans.
So here again I’m doing a cake that does not rely on a special pan.
Now I’m making a number 12 cake but you could use the same techniques for almost all the numbers. The best way to figure it out is to draw a number in blog then cut the shapes that connect.
The other most simplest way is of course to use a number cut out and just trace round to get a full number. This is a good option if you don’t mind extra kiddy snacks.
So here’s how I made this number cakes – Number Cakes one two or twelve.
If you were making a Number ONE you would need just a one sheet Cake.
If you were making a Number Two you would need a round cake and a square cake.
Number cakes One Two or Twelve
Here are my cakes. Two single layer sheet cakes and One 10 x 3″ high round cake.
- First layer, tort and fill your cakes as needed.
- My sheet cake – – Picture 3 – I cut into 3 length ways, stacked two layers together.
- Layered in Jam and buttercream and crumb coated.
- The second sheet cake (Picture 4) will make the bases for both the Number One and Number Two cakes.
- Here you can see I have again cut the sheet cake in three layers length ways and then stacked two together which will be the base for my number One.
- The third layer I have cut in half and stacked together that will be used for the base of number Two
Making the number Two cake – (number cakes one, two or twelve)
- Use a large cookie cutter or bowl as a guide, to cut out the center of the number 2.
- Now go ahead an crumb coat it inside out.
- Next cut out a triangle from the circle. (make sure you have a neat cut).
- Now take this piece of triangle you just cut
- Flip it around and place as shown in the collage below.
- Now Remember the second sheet cake that was meant for the base of your cakes. Use the smaller one for the base of number two.
- Use your spare from sheet one if you need to ensure your base and the side of number two are equal.
Next start working on Number One – (Number cakes one two or twelve).
- Remember the sheet cake picture from above. This is the first sheet cake – Picture below.
- Cut a small rectangle from the side piece and shape it to form the top of your number one.
- Remember the second sheet cake that is suppose to be use for the base of the numbers. Use the larger piece for the Number one.
- And this is what you should have.
Time to roll out the fondant for our number cakes one two or twelve.
- Roll fondant and cover both the cakes as one piece.
- It is important to stretch the fondant gently around the corners so the fondant will stretch rather than tear.
- If you do it slowly and gently you will be able to achieve a nice smooth finish.
- Use your fondant smothers on the straight edges but use your hands on the round corners.
- Decorating your Numbers as per your design.
- This was made a Bat Mitzvah and the young lady wanted a Large number 12 in bright violet with white stars all over and snow flakes around. so here is what I did.
A white border in white… I used my gum paste extruder for thi
- White stars in various sizes on the sides and mini stars light purple on the top. And of course the whole board is covered in snowflakes. and icing sugar to simulate snow. I used the Star cookie cuttersand Snowflake cookie cutters for these.
- And the girls name is English and Hebrew at the base.
How I made the number 6 cake
And just in case you are interested in how I made the number 6 here. I just cut out a shape from the PC and traced it on the cake.
You may also like