I recently made a minion cake for my son!!! He loves the movies and absolutely adores the minions. And he loves this specific minion called Dave very much!! Says he looks nerdy!!!
I thought I’d take a few progress pictures to share with you. I hope you will find them useful in your upcoming project. Here he is with his Minion.
Here’s how I made this Minion Cake.
To start –
- Bake four layers of 6 inch cakes + one dome 6″ ball pan cake (half)
- Cool the layers completely.
- Stack the first three layers with filling.
- Dowel the cake with wooden or bubble straws.
- Place another 6 inch cake board on top and stack the rest of the layers.
- Once stacked use a center dowel to secure (optional)
- Chill the layers well – and frost with more icing. I used Dark Chocolate ganache on the outside and Vanilla Buttercream between layers on the inside.
- Use a piece of a plastic bottle or flexible card stock to smooth sphere cakes.
- Chill over night until the ganache is firm
Personally I prefer to work with a picture in front of me. And since I’m printing it out I might as well use it as a template. So I printed my minion 9″ tall and 7″ wide.
While my cake with Ganache was chilling in the fridge.
I started with the Minions Goggles and eyes.
Again I used my template.
- Roll a thick piece (about 2 cm) of grey fondant (with cmc added)
- Using round cutter that match the out and inside of the goggles cut out the rim as shown below
- For the eyes (below) use the round cutter and white paste cut out. Soften the edges.
- Cut some yellow with the same size cutter as the white but roll the past thinner.
- Use the cutter to cut the eye lids as shown below.
- Use two brown round balls for the eyes. flatten them to size on the template.
- Use black for the pupil and a tiny white for the high light.
- You need to paint the goggles silver but I did not – because my son wanted to eat the goggles and I did not want him to eat the non edible metallic dust.
Now let them rest on the template for a while so they firm up. You do not want them to be hard just a little firmer. If you make these way ahead of time; dry them on a 7″ round pan so they take the same of the pan/cake.
Brush the cake with sugar syrup and ensure you have no gaps as that will give you air pockets.
(sorry the brushed cake came out over exposed)
Roll some yellow sugar paste. I used white Satin Ice fondant with Magic Colors – Egg Yellow and Lemon Yellow mixed.
Cut off the excess and smooth the cake with your hands or a cornstarch pouch.
Time to make the Minion’s Blue overalls.
- Roll a strip of blue sugar paste. I used Magic Colors Royal Blue to get this blue color.
- I textured mine with the texture mat that has tiny squares. But you could leave it plain too
- Measure the circumference of the minion cake on the bottom. Mine was 22 inches
- Cut a strip about 2 inches in wide and 22 inches long.
- Use a stitch tool to make the stitch marks on the edges.
- Dust the strip with cornstarch then roll the strip from two ends towards the middle. This is prevent the fondant from stretching.
- Now pick the roll of strip and place it behind the minion (back) and unroll the strip towards the forward.
- This way you will have no stretching or loosing the shape of your strip..
To make the front of the overall. I used my printout as a guide.
- Roll some blue paste again. Texture is you want.
- Place the paste on the template and cut!
- Use the stitch tool to make the stitch marks.
- Place the overall front in place with a dab of water.
- To make the little pocket, use your template again or use an oval cutter in half.
Time to place the Minions Eyes and Goggles. Use just a dab of water and hold for a few seconds. They should not slip but if you need to; add a tiny piece of spaghetti between the goggles and the eye lids. just to help secure.
Make his mouth.. I just used my dresden tool to create the mouth but you could use some black paste and round cutters and use the same technique we used to make the eyelids.
Adding the Goggle strap and overall Strap
- Roll a long strip of black paste. Use the side of a long rule or scale to indent the middle.
- Roll into a swiss roll.
- Dampen the area around the cake with a bit of water using a brush
- Unroll the black strip as you go around the goggles.
- Do the same with the blue over all straps securing them at the back
Covering the board with Fondant (optional)
After this I actually covered my board with fondant. I liked this brick effect contact paper I had but then thought a dark board might do justice to the yellow. So I did a darker wood floor for my board. Sorry no progress pictures here but I did it exactly the same way I did the board in the Pink Hand Bag cake video.
Adding the Minions hands and legs
- Roll a long sausage – cut into four.
- Roll a square of blue – texture and add stitch marks as below – then wrap it around the yellow legs.
- For the shoes – take two balls of black paste. Roll into a sausage, flatten it then mark the sole and heels.
For the gloves – similar to hands – roll a small piece of black into a thick tear drop. flatten and cut three fingers.
For the hair – I just rolled some black sugar paste between my fingers – let them dry on a small bottle in a curved shape. Once dried place them on the head. If you want them standing just let them dry straight then use a tooth pick to make holds and place them carefully on the head.
I also made him the Fart Gun!! yes! I redid it twice actually but it never made it to the cake. Why? Every time I turned my back he picked it up and started playing with it. So the paste never got the time to dry, and of course all those finger prints.
Finally I gave up!!! Here it is..
So I do hope you find Dave the Minion tutorial helpful.