How to make Gumpaste Santa for Christmas Cake
It’s amazing how Santa and Snowman can get kids in the Christmas mood this whole season. Mine have to had a gumpaste Santa and a snowman on their cake. Just have to!!! Or it’s not a Christmas cake.
This is second year 2011 – Aadi is only two and so excited about his Christmas. We made Santa sitting on the Chimney.
This I made for fun and made him standing to I thought I’d take a few pictures to share with you. I’m still learning myself so I hope you will appreciate and find it helpful.
How to make Gum Paste Santa Claus
Things you will need to make gumpaste Santa
- You will need fondant in Red, White, a little black and skin color for the face and hands or white for gloves.
- Here I used modeling chocolate for the face
- A small foam ball for the stomach. You can also use a ball for the head.
- Add CMC or Tylose to the paste so the figure will have more stability.
- Divide the red into three parts – one for the legs, second for body, third we will make arms and cap.
- I make the different parts and let them sit for a while to firm up a bit, that makes it easier to handle them.
- I used a kebab skewer the figure to secure it in place.
Let’s make the leg/pants – our gumpaste Santa
- Take part one of the red paste
- roll into a long sausage – thick in the center
- bring the narrow end down and mold the shape to resemble pants
- make creases to add more character.
- The flat end is the front but make sure it’s not too square.
- The back is the booty so do not squash it.
Let’s make shoes for our gumpaste Santa
- Take two balls of black paste
- Roll with your finger to create this shape
- Them mark the sole and heel with the back of a knife.
Let’s make the body/belly/jacket for our gumpaste Santa
- Take part two of our red gumpaste
- insert the form ball and roll into a ball.
- now shape the ball into a cone – the form ball making the stomach.
- The foam will help with Santa’s weight. So he wont’ fall face down.
- shape to make it look like a body with belly.
- Add white trimming to complete the top.
Let’s make arms / jacket sleeves for our gumpaste Santa
- Take part three of the red gumpaste
- Roll into a sausage
- Then cut at a diagonal as shown below
- Measure to required length
- use the balance of the red gumpaste to make the cap.
Let’s make gloves – for our gumpaste Santa
- Pretty simple really.
- I made two small balls of white –
- then shaped it like a tennis bat
- then cut the thumb and fingers.
lastly – Let’s make the face with beard for our gumpaste Santa
- Roll some skin tone modeling paste into a ball.
- use a finger to roll back and forth making the eye area
- then add a small button nose
- add white for the beard and mustache
- White and black for the eyes
- Make eye brows and white hair
- cut the top of this head off so the cap will still flush with his head
And that’s all there is to my gumpaste santa
You may also – these Christmas tutorials