Instant Mango Kulfi
Kulfi is basically Indian Ice-Cream, and is made with mostly milk, full fat milk!!
Yep the good stuff!
Traditionally to make Kulfi you would take full fat milk (more than 4% fat), cook it on medium low heat for about an hour or more until it is reduced to 1/3 of it’s original quantity. The more you reduce the milk the more rich your Kulfi will be.
You then add a few chopped nuts, fruit puree such as Mango pulp or Lychee puree for Lychee Kulfi. In other words making traditional Indian Kulfi honestly takes for ever!! Sucks right?
Now I know some of you will say there is no substitute for the real thing. I agree ad yet; here I make some thing that takes me about 10 mins to prepare and a few hours to chill.
And Viola I have Kulfi!!! Sounds good? Let’s go make some Mango Kulfi.
- Mixer - K-Mix/ Kitchen-Aid type or Hand Mixerworks too!
- Food Processor / Bowl
- Blender for pulping the mangoes
- I use Popsicle molds - Any Popsicle moldwill do really.
- But try some Kulfi Potsand serve them with some chopped mangoes for some fine dining experience - know what mean? Make it special.
- One can of Evaporate Milk (which is basically milk that has been reduced for you!!)
- One can of Condensed Milk (which is milk again reduced and sweetened for you )
- 1 Cup Fresh Cream (Whipped)
- 1 Cup Mango Pulp (About two large mangoes) or One canned mangoes
- 1 tsp Cardamon powder (optional)
- 4 tbsp Crushed Pistachios or Almonds (optional)
- 1 tsp of Saffron strands soaked in 2 tbsp of water. (optional)
- Whipped the cream to soft peaks
- Wash, peel and slice the mangoes, pulse it in the food processor or Blender for just a minute or so.
- Open the two cans of evaporated milk and condensed milk.
- Now all you do is take a large bowl big enough to incorporate all these together and stir well. See progress pictures below.
- If you are using Saffron, cardamon powder and nuts - add them in now.
- I do not add these because my kids do not fancy them.. They just like the mango flavor.
- Next pour these into kulfi molds or Popsicle molds.
- Use a soup spoon to fill these easily.
- Add a Popsicle stick.
- That's it!! Place these in the freezer over night or at least three hours.
- To UN-mold just dip the mold in a glass of hot water for 10 to 15 seconds and it will release from the mold.
Now You don’t really need progress pictures but.. here are a few to show you how easy it really is
How easy was that? Told ya!
Happy Summer guys; say cool.