Easy Paprika Baked Chicken – One Pot Meal
This easy paprika baked one pot chicken meal is a simple hearty lunch or dinner recipe with just five minutes hands on time. The oven does the rest for you.
My mom always said – If you buy good quality meat, salt and pepper is all you need to enjoy a good meal. That is so true with this recipe.
Working from home is not easy and it’s not different with me. I struggle sometimes take a break for the cake on working on and go get lunch or dinner ready so the kids will have something to eat when they get back from school or their activities.
Not Quick but still Quick
I refer to this recipe as my quick recipe. And yet though not quick it’s still quick. This recipe is a real blessing when I’m busy. It’s literally hands on work is about 5 to 7 minutes – I dunk it in the oven and I can go back to my cake. So yeah I mean the hands on work is quick and that’s all the cooking i’m really doing.
Quick lunch or plated dinner
Another great thing about this recipe is that the paprika gives it that nice golden color that looks so exotic. If you look above; that’s how it comes out of the oven very rustic but if you plate it well you could might as well call it a fancy dinner.
Look at that? so beautifully plated and doesn’t it look fancy ?
No special ingredients
So here’s the best part about this recipe is that , there are no special ingredients. Remember what I told you about my mom said above… that could not be more true.
All you need are a few fresh veggies such as onions, potatoes, garlic, lemon, sometimes I have carrots sometimes I don’t and that OK too. Salt Pepper and paprika. In fact if if you have more than one type of paprika so much the better.
The idea is that these veggies give this dish so much more. The lemon and onions caramelize over the chicken and potatoes, The chicken gives out it own juices and hydrates those potatoes keep some moist while the olive oil helps crisp some of the potatoes which are absolutely divine. The garlic get roasted into this soft sweet jam and it”s lost all that pudgent flavor keeping only that sweet garlic flavor, you can spread on a piece of bread or toast.
Types of paprika
Do you know there are many different types of paprika? And paprika is not the same as chilly powder. Chilly is chilly. Paprika is similar to chilly and yet not chilly.
I see quite a few around but I’m sure there are many many different names and types; I know of a few such as Hungarian sweet or spicy, Spanish medium or hot, California sweet paprika, Israeli hot or sweet Paprika and there’s the paprika that you get in oils. So you see there are all from different origins and they all have their own earthy flavors.
I usually keep the California sweet paprika and the smoked hot paprika in oil. I use more of the sweet for the color and then a tiny bit of the hot for the flavor. My kids are small so I have to be a bit careful with the hot – if given a choice I’d love a little more hot if you know what I mean.
Video – Easy paprika baked one pot chicken meal
Recipe – Easy paprika baked chicken one pot meal
- 8 chicken thighs and legs / 4 quarters
- 2 medium onions sliced round
- 1 lemon sliced round
- 1 bulb garlic -not skinned just separated
- A few carrots - sliced (optional)
- 1 tbsp salt + 1 tsp pepper
- Plus1 tsbp sweet paprika
- and 1 tsp hot paprika (or sweet)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 200 C/ 400 F
- Clean; wash and pat dry the chicken
- Chop all veggies into round slices if possible.
- Use a clean baking tray and spread some olive oil.
- Spread chicken and all veggies on the oiled baking tray. Try to mix them up so they flavor each other. You can sort them again later once baked.
- Pour olive oil and coat everything well.
- Sprinkle Salt, pepper, Paprika. That's it.
- Place in a preheated oven at 200 C / 400 F for about 50 to 60 minutes
- Turn the chicken and veggies once or twice during cooking so as to bake evenly on all sides.
- Once baked you can save them right out of the baking try or sort them in a serving platter.
See I told you it was the easiest chicken meal you will find.