What are Double Barrel Cakes – Tip Thursday
Double Barrel Cakes are become the new trend. They give you an opportunity to extend a design far and wide opening up a whole new world or possibilities. While they are not easy or difficult here are a few basics worth paying attention to .
Double Barrel Cake Vs Tall Cakes
Often people are confused between Double Barrel Cake and Tall Cakes or Extended Height Cakes. That is why I dedicated a whole post explaining in detail what are Tall Cakes or Extended Height Cakes.
This Purple Twilight Cake is a Double Barrel Cake meaning extend Tier while this Pink Crown Cake is a Tall Cake meaning an extended Height
What are Double Barrel Cakes?
- A Double Barrel cake is two or three cakes stacked one on top of another.
- Usually made with four or more layers each 2 to 3 inches tall.
- A double barrel cake can be about 8 to 10 inches tall.
8 inches is usually a more manageable height.
- What is very important about these cakes is to ensure that you have a cake circle as support in between every two layers.
(2 x 2” layers)
- Ensure you dowel the bottom tier well so the tier can carry the weight of the top tier.
- If you do not dowel – the bottom tiers will collapse under the weight of the top tier.
- A wrap method is the best way to cover double barrel cakes with fondant but it is possible to cover them with the traditional drape method too.
The middle tier on this cake is a Double Barrel Cake
made with two 7 inch cakes both 5 inch tall stacked one on top of the other with a cake board in between. Then ganached as one whole cake.
This is as example of Tall Cakes or Extended Height Cakes
These are just three layers of cake. Each tier is made of 2 x 3 layers cake. Each tier has a cake board under it but there is not cake circle inside the individual tiers.
Servings Sizes for tall cakes Vs Double Barrel Cakes
- Tall Cakes –
Well, it’s just one extra layer so it really only makes your cake taller. So each serving is a taller slice of cake not necessarily more servings.
Of course off the charts you could serve half a slice if it was family but in general you would want to give your guest a good one slice that starts from top to bottom. It’s more aesthetically pleasing. So;no commercially it does not add extra servings –
Financially it does add extra cake so I personally have different charges for my standard vs taller cakes.
- In case of a Double Barrel – yes! It’s two full cakes with a cake board in between so it can be separated and served as two cakes . So you do have extra servings and you prices it as two cakes into one double barrel cake.
Pin this Tutorial on Pinterest
This was this weeks Tip Thursday
You can Pin this Tip Thursday as well as some of the others on Pinterest. Don’t forget to follow me so you can Pin the other Tips and Tutorials you upload.