Different Buttercream Flavors from one Recipe
How many buttercream flavors have you tired? I bet many!! Do you know that you can make one basic buttercream and then use that to create different flavors.
I have already given you my Buttercream Recipe. In fact I have given you all my Buttercream Recipes.
American Buttercream (ABC)
Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC)
Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC)
Classic French Buttercream (FBC)
Now these are the basic buttercream recipes. Often you get asked to make different flavors. Sometimes you have to start from scratch, but often it’s easier to use the basic recipe and create new buttercream flavors.
Here is how I change my basic vanilla buttercream flavor recipe into many many different buttercream flavors. Quite simply it’s the same recipe with a little tweak. Some addition here some subtraction here.
This is based on my American Buttercream Recipe, which may vary from other buttercream flavors online.
- Chocolate – Add 200 grams melted and cooled dark Chocolate
- Mocha – Add melted & Cool Dark Chocolate + 2 tbsp. dissolved Espresso Coffee.
- Caramel – Replace liquid in recipe with 1 cup Caramel Sauce.
- Salted Caramel –Replace Unsalted butter in the recipe with salted Butter, if needed add ¼ tsp salt.
- Nutella – Add about a cup of Nutella to one batch of BC.
- Lemon – Add ¼ cup Lemon Juice + zest of one Lemon.
- Strawberry / Raspberry – Replace the liquid in the recipe with 200 ml crushed/Sieved fruit.
- Peanut Butter – Add a Cup Peanut Butter to one batch of BC.
- Bailey’s Irish Cream or Kahlua – Add about ½ cup Liquor to one batch of BC.
- Pineapple – Replace liquid in BC recipe with 1 cup Pineapple juice + 1 cup canned Pineapples (for a smother texture omit fruit)
- Marchino Cherries – Add a few tbsp. canned MC juice + chopped cherries. (mc have a strong flavor so a little goes a long way)
- Boston Cream Pie /Custard – add 1 cup custard to the Buttercream.
- Coconut –Replace liquid in recipe with 1 cupCoconut cream. You can add either toasted coconut flakes or toasted desiccated chocolate to add texture.
- Marzipan – soften one cup Marzipan with a few drops of water.. Then add to your Buttercream.