Homemade Buttery Cloverleaf Rolls
These cloverleaf rolls are an American bread like a ball made of three sections; more like a pull apart bun. This is a simple easy and yet very exotic looking bread.
One of my fond memories as a little girl is sitting on the kitchen top corner and helping mom with her work. She’d give me a small piece of dough and I’d happily leave her alone to do her work while I would knead the hell out of that little piece of dough.
Now I have the same scene in my kitchen often with my kids. Often it’s Rhea more than Aadi. She loves to help me when I’m working. But like me she’s especially attracted to bread dough. She loves the soft silky smoothness of the bread dough when it’s all ready to be baked.
Video -Homemade Buttery Cloverleaf Rolls
Recipe – Homemade Buttery Cloverleaf Rolls
- 1½ cup Milk - warm
- 1 large egg
- 2½ tsp / 1 sachet - Instant dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 50 grams melted butter
- 500 - 600 grams - All purpose flour.
- Have all your ingredients ready.
- Warm the milk and melt the butter, add in the yeast and sugar. Stir well to dissolve the yeast.
- Add the egg, salt and give it one more stir.
- Add about 4 cups of the flour into a mixer bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour the yeast mixture.
- Mix for about 5 minutes until the dough is silky.
- Add flour only if the dough is still stick. Not much just until you have a soft, smooth but not so sticky dough as shown in the video
- Bring the dough together.
- Place in an oiled bowl. Brush some oil on the dough to prevent drying.
- Cover with Cling/plastic wrap and leave it in a warm place for about an hour or until double in volume.
- Punch down and knead for a few seconds.
- Divide the dough in half, each half in four.
- Make smaller portions.
- Again each portion into three smooth balls. Three balls make one roll.
- Spray two muffin tins with oil spray.
- Place three balls into one muffin tin
- Cover with a damp kitchen cloth and let rest for about 40 mins until almost double in size.
- After 40 mins....! double in size.
- Preheat oven to 190 C/380 F..
- Brush with egg wash and bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 mins.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes take them off the muffin tins and cool on a wire rack to avoid steam from making them damp.
And Voila! you have delicious homemade butter cloverleaf rolls
Like I said these are simple and easy to make. If you organize your work load then the in between time of waiting does not bother you at all.
Get the kids involved they love making these tiny little balls and then get even more excited when the rolls come out of the oven. My kids love these with jam and can eat them just pain as is. They are so buttery and delicious.