Classic White Bread – Easy Homemade Bread
This classic white bread recipe is a simple and easy full proof recipe and will guarantee you a good loaf. Light and airy server with butter jam or a meal.
Ain’t that a gorgeous slice of loaf bread? Baked it myself. Light and airy just the way I like it.
Have I told you bread making at home can be therapeutic. You know mixing the dough, kneading it into a gorgeous bread. And the smell of fresh bread in the house is so welcoming.
I often make bread at home, sometimes with a my K-mix and sometimes by hand and some times getting the kids involved. When I make a post I try to do it by hand so you can see for yourself that it really is easy. For the video I use the K-mix so I don’t waste your time watching the whole process.
This classic white bread recipe is a simple and easy full proof recipe that will guarantee a good loaf of bread. It comes out light and airy goes will with just plain butter or jam or can be made into delicious sandwiches
My son is very fond of the white square bread you bring from the supermarket. At first I did not get it right a couple of times but now it’s almost perfect. Makes amazing sandwiches and taste delicious with butter and jam.
Makes one loaf of bread
Here’s the Video recipe
Classic White Bread
Author: Veena Azmanov - A Homemade Chef
Serves: One loaf
- Stand Mixer - K-mix/ Kitchen Aid etc (read my tips on how to choose a right stand mixer for you here )
- Measuring Cups
- Kitchen Scale
For the Bread
- 400 to 500 grams All Purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp instant Yeast
- 1½ cup warm Milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp / 30 grams - butter (melted)
- 1 tsp salt.
- Place 400 grams flour in a bowl with Salt.
- Combine together the milk, butter, sugar and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes. Once foamy add to the flour and combine.
- Start kneading with your hands or in a stand mixer. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Use extra flour only if needed.
- The dough should be soft like sponge and elastic.
- And finally here's the finger test I always perform. See my fingers pressing into the dough?
- Lift my hand and the dough springs back. That's how soft and elastic your dough should be.. Usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes by hand and about 5 to 7 minutes in the stand mixer with a dough attachment.
- Place in an oiled bowl with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place.
- About an hour to hour and half.
Form the loaf
- Invert the risen dough onto your counter.
- Press down lightly to remove some air and flatten.
- Start to roll like a jelly roll.
- Roll from one end to the other tightly.
- Pinch the seams together.
- Now place into a sprayed loaf pan seam side down.
Prove dough before baking
- Cover your loaf pan with plastic wrap and let rise again for about 40 minutes to an hour.
- Twice the original volume is a good guide to use here.
- Once you see your dough is almost twice - preheat your oven at 170 C / 340 F for at least 10 minutes.
Bake the loaf
- Egg wash, sprinkle some sesame seeds
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170 C/340 F for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- When done the top will be golden brown. The sides will have left the pan so you can easily just remove it form the pan.
- If you tap the bottom of your loaf you will hear a hollow sound.
Remove and let rest
- Always let bread rest for at least 15 to 20 minutes before you cut.
And here are a few progress pictures of one loaf that I made recently. I used the same measure but I used a small loaf pan so see the dome!! Love it but the slices become tall.
And that’s my Classic White Bread. Hope you enjoy it..!